WHEEL Looking at new wheel & pedals on a budget

Discussion in 'SimRigs | Wheels' started by Ricardo Rey, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Ricardo Rey

Ricardo Rey Active Member

Greeting!
    I'm going to be in the market for a new rig soon. I currently use a DFGT wheel and has been ok, but the motor is getting rough.

I have read a lot of forums discussing pros and cons, many cases way over my budget.

I have about decided on the G29 with shifter. The reviews seem pretty good and living in amurica the warranty considerations for returns are important.

Unless I am convinced otherwise, I hope to acquire this by October.
    Any thoughts?

Thanks!

2. luchian

luchian Administrator Staff Member

I have used a G27 for about 2 years. And have tried also the DFGT in that period. I would say that in terms of wheel feel alone, there was not a significant diference. Not sure whether dgft uses a helicoidal gearing as well (makes a bit quieter and there is basically no play).

Where G27 was better, was in the finishing (leather and metal), and definitely pedals.

I assume G29 should be at least at the same level.

Nowdays I have a T500 which is a step higher that G, but also almost double the price.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

3. Ricardo Rey

Actually misquoted (I think). Apparently the G29 is for PS3-4. It is a g920. I'm now looking aaround. Got plenty of time. It will be September or October before I can purchase anyway. I am open to suggestions. I'm trying to stay around $500.00 us, maybe a bit more if warranted.

4. DrDoomsLab

DrDoomsLab Member

Hi,

I would not recommend the g29 or pc equivalent. The g25/27 was a grate wheel for its time. But the update g29 not so much. The first time i had ago it seemed ok. Drivers where a bit of an arse as g29 had only just been released. Anyways got the wheel working in most things but some it just would not work in some (like f1 games). Had to wait for over a month for a patch from the games and the drivers. The new softwhere interface, i really don't like. My friend sent it back in the end for a refund.

Then about 3 months ago another friend got into sim racing and esp rally and drifting. He got the wheel as it seemed like everything he needed for a cheap price. He liked the wheel although he ran it for a week without proper FFB (or any really) as it had installed the drivers wrong. I got that sorted then he quite liked it. But 1 week later while doing some drifting the alignment of the wheel went out of center. The only way to fix it was to power the wheel off and back on. Over the next few weeks he keeps having this issue and its getting worse and worse, first its every few hours, then every few laps then every other turn. He got a refund.

It also seems that the G29 is not as well built as the older models. I have had g25 and g27 both still going strong with friends although battered a lot. Only issues with the older wheels are the encoder wheels. And some of the buttons not working after much use, these wheels have been used a lot. Almost everyday for a few years (5+) and for a fair few hours as there would be 3 or 4 of us changing seats.

I run a T500 and i would recommend a T300 and a set of CSR elite peddels or if you can streach get some clubsports peddels. My T500 came with pritty good peddels and i've never needed them. The CSR's are grate and the brake being a push sensor rather than a distance makes a big difference.

Hope this is not too much for you.
    Cheers,
    DrDoomsLab.

luchian and Ricardo Rey like this.
  5. Ricardo Rey

Thanks! It helps. I have until October or November to decide.
    I got to thinking about warranty outside the US taking months to get back. However, I still have my old wheel in that case. I don't want to limit myself to US (Made elsewhere) wheels.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice