SOLVED KnSusEditor - Values Compared to Real Life?

Discussion in 'Car Models | Physics' started by Edmard, Dec 17, 2017.

1. Edmard

Edmard New Member

Hi Guys,

So a mod was released recently of my car in real life and it has some moderately decent physics behind it and I like the model enough.

However there are some handling characteristics which don't quite marry up with how I understand the car drives.

A friend of mine introduced me to being able to change suspension values using the KnSusEditor program found in assettocorsa/sdk/dev/ and it's great to be able to see a visual of what I'm changing and play around with it.
    He also said that looking at the files for this car it looks like it was adapted from a different car to get good characteristics at the initial stages - so could be pretty far off the real thing.
    However I was wondering if anyone knew of a chart/database/anything out there that lets me know what each of the values in there represents in real life? If possible I'd like to get under my car and measure up all the suspension and change the values in the Suspension Editor to match.

Appreciate any help you guys can give here, will be good for me to have something to play around with over the Christmas Holiday :)

2. luchian

luchian Administrator Staff Member

Hi @Edmard , welcome :).

KnSusEditor is just an interface to make the process easy. It actually modifies values in the suspensions.ini. If you look at the suspension.ini in a separate text editor, you will see explanations for almost all lines/values :).

3. Edmard

Edmard New Member

Ha! There had to be something that simple. Thanks man.
    I’ll be back with better questions I’m sure. :p

luchian likes this.
  4. Edmard

Edmard New Member

@luchian Thanks for the heads up earlier, I've got the file open but not all of the values have a description.
    For example:

WBCAR_BOTTOM_FRONT=0.425, -0.135, 0.03
    WBCAR_BOTTOM_REAR=0.410, -0.140, -0.33
    WBTYRE_BOTTOM=0.055, -0.15, 0.03
    WBCAR_STEER=0.410, -0.125, 0.105
    WBTYRE_STEER=0.038, -0.14, 0.105

Those above make no sense at all to me, but there are others like DAMP_FAST_BUMP which is obvious but I wouldn't know what the value you put in represents, doesn't seem to be in Nm as the number is too high. Maybe Nmm?

5. AccAkut

AccAkut Active Member

[​IMG]

Its the coordinates of the suspension point, as in the middle of each joint
    WBCAR_BOTTOM_FRONT= wishbone bottom front, attachment point on the car
    WBCAR_BOTTOM_REAR=" bottom rear "
    WBTYRE_BOTTOM=wishbone bottom , attachment point on wheel hub
    WBCAR_STEER= steer rod, attachment point on the car
    WBTYRE_STEER= ", attachment point on the wheel hub

best just load a car in that suspension editor and play around with the values. Its all used as mirrored, so you can't build asymmetric suspensions (except solid axle setups, but those are a whole different deal)

for your other question, go to
    SteamApps\common\assettocorsa\sdk\dev\content\cars\formula_k\data

the suspension.ini in that folder has all available description

luchian likes this.
  6. garyjpaterson

garyjpaterson Member

As said, the Suspension editor helps visualise the changes to geometry - But you can also do with in Content Manager, which will live update and has a bunch of other similar functions (showing wing positions etc).

Similarly the suspension geometry is also visible in-game via the Suspension App, and pressing 1,2,3 & 4 on the Numpad, though you need to exit out to update it.

luchian likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice