W.I.P. Jacarepagua Circuit - Rio de Janeiro

Discussion in 'Tracks' started by Johnr777, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Johnr777

Johnr777 Moderator

Seeing all the great work from all of you, and the amazing support and guidance from this forum, I decided on reviving an old project of my own! Jacarepagua used to host the Brazilian GP back in the late 80's before Interlagos became the venue of choice. This track used to host a good number of events, and also very popular for track days.... It did however, get chopped in half for the 2008 Pan Am games and then completely destroyed to make way for the 2016 Olympics. :(

Still had my old splines to work from, and since the track is fairly flat, it shouldn't be too dificult! (while I patiently wait for Pixelchaser's LRP ;))

Theres a good rendition of the track in Automobilista I believe, for those who have the game...

Some progress shots:
    jacarepagua.png

Not in game yet, but already having fun with multilayers and masking!

jacarepagua1.png
    jacarepagua2.png jacarepagua3.png

r@m, luchian, Mitja Bonca and 2 others like this.
  2. LockeNessMotorsports

LockeNessMotorsports Active Member

How did you do the variation in grass on the side of the curb if you don't mind me asking I would like that on my track seperate texture or mesh?

3. Johnr777

Johnr777 Moderator

Are you asking about the tire marks? Its on the same mesh BUT I baked the entire grass mesh on a texture, which is now my new diffuse. Similar to what Pixelchaser is doing with Lime Rock, but I think he's using google earth sat images.

Quite large, 4096x2048... but it has enough resolution so i can hand draw the variation. Then using a multilayer fresnel material, which is Diffuse - Mask - DetailR - DetailB - NormalMap

The mask allows for "dirt/damaged" detail map only for those variations, really cool stuff i learned from the awesome guys here!

When Im home later I'll post my textures for you to have a peak

Pixelchaser likes this.
  4. LockeNessMotorsports

Cheers I was on about the grass edges basically the variation with the gravel but yeah be cool to see still learning the textures :)

5. Johnr777

Johnr777 Moderator

Oh that, yeah, separate mesh with its own texture with alpha channel for the borders, using the ksgrass shader, diffuse and for variation slot I used a gravel detail map :)

6. luchian

luchian Administrator Staff Member

Hey @Johnr777, welcome to the poly side :). "Start" looks very promising already.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Johnr777 likes this.
  7. Johnr777

Johnr777 Moderator

Lol, thanks! The poly side is full of talent and knowledge, I gotta catch up!

luchian likes this.
  8. Pixelchaser

Pixelchaser Well-Known Member

spot on. exactly what I'm doing, slowly it`ll become its own texture, loosing the remaining dark and light patches. but keeping as much natural variation as possible. because why the hell not !

the grass shader is explicitly for the 2d planes of grass. but no reason you cant use it that way if you want.

9. LockeNessMotorsports

Ahh ok I'm still learning textures, detail maps etc I usually go 4096x4096 on everything it's a bit of a habit aha I don't know what sizes things should be unless they're just preference ?

And when you said cover the borders in the alpha what did you mean by that? I'm trying to get my dirt spots to line up with the grass ATM like yours mine just goes grass straight to dirt and it looks quite bad.

There's so many shaders, maps etc to learn xD

10. Pixelchaser

Pixelchaser Well-Known Member

a road should be approximately 1 pixel per centimetre. decreasing as you leave the track. so a 10 metre wide road should be 1024 wide at the least.

terrain should be at least 1 pixel every 10-20 cm (IMO), but there are no rules other than using too much un-necessarily. (IMO)

what john means is photoshop leaves a border on the file sometimes. so you must seek to find that and eradicate it.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
    luchian likes this.
  11. LockeNessMotorsports

Could you show some of these textures? if possible

12. LockeNessMotorsports

So experimenting with masks Idk if i'm doing it wrong but because the texture is tileable i get this result aha, I applied the mask in the opacity map slot in 3ds max.

mask.jpg
    texture 2.jpg

13. Johnr777

Johnr777 Moderator

You got the basics right, however, AC wont recognize your multi-material setup from MAX... only the diffuse material. So for the game to see transparency, the diffuse texture needs an alpha channel.

dirt_edge_example.png

Im attaching my textures, look in the channels tab, you'll see how I'm using an alpha channel and the texture is in DXT5 format.

Attached Files:

14. Johnr777

Johnr777 Moderator

BTW, you do very little with materials in 3Ds Max, you should only worry about the UVW mapping of the diffuse texture, all the setting up and tweaking comes in the AC editor. All the blending and detail textures will be done by using masks and alpha channels, then you can achieve this! :nerd:

jacarepagua5.png

15. Johnr777

Johnr777 Moderator

A couple more progress pictures of mask blending and 3d grass!

jacarepagua4.png

@Pixelchaser , I tried playing around with the 3d grass variable texture, using the main grass diffuse, but saw no variation that was useful in my case... waiting to see if you succeed in your trials!

So i decided to tweak the alpha channel, added about 50% transparency for the lower half of the channel, it sort of blends with the main grass underneath and I think it looks pretty decent!

What do you think?

jacarepagua6.png

luchian likes this.
  16. LilSKi

LilSKi Well-Known Member

Grass still needs to blend more overall. You don't want to be able to pick out the grass objects that easily.

Screenshot_ks_porsche_911_gt3_cup_2017_njmp_lightning_3-3-117-22-24-46.jpg

I would also suggest in the areas you want off track marks you cut out those sections and give them a higher resolution than the rest of the terrain.

Here is how the UV map looks.

NJMP123.JPG

How exit T5 looks

Screenshot_nagp_jordan_1991_f1_njmp_lightning_4-8-117-23-58-29.jpg
    Just a suggestion as to how I did NJMP. By no means is this the only way.

luchian and Ricardo Rey like this.
  17. Johnr777

Johnr777 Moderator

I agree with that uvw remap, yours looks a lot like the photorealistic “iRacing” method, which is my target!
    But looks like you were able to work from good sat images, mine have to handmade as the track is now an Olympic park :lol:

Also I think I just need more 3D grass objects, as I left it kinda bare to test the blend options, but I’ll tweak!

18. LilSKi

LilSKi Well-Known Member

Well whether you use sat images or not you still need a higher resolution in those areas IMO.

19. LockeNessMotorsports

Ahh i see they're in 512 aswell but if i wanted to put this on a big patch of dirt like I want to do I can't do it that way as it tiles across and the grass/dirt section moves and it splits it like this. So I'm not sure then how to do that.

texture 2.jpg

20. LockeNessMotorsports

Are those Guardrails a 3d model or just visual on a plane or something they look great.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice