QUESTION How to use multiple .KN5 files per track?

Discussion in 'Tracks' started by barf, Aug 6, 2018.

1. barf

barf Member

Hi

I'm putting a track together in Blender using the Blender export add-on because unfortunately none of the track tools development I found were able to load LiDAR and satellite DEM/DSMs, or orthophotos of the size and resolution I needed. Out of memory errors even when dividing into small regions.

Now I seem to have reached the limits of a single .kn5 file at about 700mb, when exporting using the Blender KN5 exporter.

Questions:
    • What is the correct process to bring multiple .kn5 files together in a track?
    • Is there a naming convention to adhere to with kn5 files?
    Thanks,
    barf

PS. The track is Summit Road, in Christchurch, New Zealand.
    Screenshots (WIP!):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Les Neilson and luchian like this.
  2. luchian

luchian Administrator Staff Member

Looking good ! Do a search on "layouts" how-to, there is a thread here (sorry, I'm on phone).

- on Tapatalk

teleios likes this.
  3. barf

barf Member

Thanks luchian!

I think I've found the tutorial but it talks about using layers in a tool which I can't use. RTB crashes when trying to load the KN5 (or any FBX export) with an out of memory error. The AC SDK doesn't like to load my track either, also giving me memory errors.

Is there some way I can manually bring layers together? (If I put another .kn5 in the same directory it does not appear to load)

My pipeline is QGIS -> GDAL, Python and Linux bash scripts -> Blender -> AC. Unable to use AC SDK or race track building tools unfortunately because of the scene size and resolution.

EDIT: found a different tutorial to try. I will report back, thanks again!
    https://assettocorsamods.net/threads/track-layouts-how-to.364/

4. Kibbutz

Kibbutz Member

follow that tutorial and you'll be good to go with layouts, it took me half an hour to get it work.
    About RTB, it can't load kn5, you can push fbx files through xpacker but you need to find your workflow with trials and errors. I did some experiments with really heavy models to get the right setup with uv mapping and grouping. Strictly related, remember AC sdk won't accept single objects with more than 65k polygons or vertex so be careful when merging objects, I always break them at 55k since most of the times counters differs from 3dprogram to AC sdk. Still related with sdk, most of the time it won't load fbx larger than 100mb, so you better divide them into multiple ones (RTB standard division is good to start) and use the multiple layout tutorial to organize your kn5 in trees, houses, roads etc etc..

5. barf

barf Member

thanks kibbutz, I hope I am not being too ambitious!

I cropped-out four LiDAR tiles using QGIS then made a mesh (2.5D Delaunay triangulation) in Blender, and each background tile is approximately 1 million vertices. The ASTER DSM used for 'far-background' is 3 million vertices. :whistle:

To divide a 1m resolution lidar mesh into 65k chunks, when the terrain is 35x42km, I can see a way using GDAL to segment the GeoTIFFs, but it sounds like more work than should be necessary.. this is why I have avoided RTB and AC SDK.

I feel like I'm in a unique situation trying to render large swath of terrain, most tracks occlude terrain with trees, but I want to reproduce the spectacular landscape. The road follows the crater rim of an extinct volcano which formed banks peninsula in the south island. There are hill climbs held on this road, but down the other end at gebbies pass where there is no LiDAR until 2019 I think :(

About the road:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Hills
    https://www.dangerousroads.org/australia-and-oceania/new-zealand/5065-summit-road.html

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice