QUESTION how to reposition the driver from right to left?

Discussion in 'Car Models | Physics' started by chopsuey, May 8, 2023.

1. chopsuey

chopsuey New Member

Hi, I just modified a car that had a steering wheel on the right to put the steering wheel on the left (for a suzuki swift) however I don't understand how to do it for the driver.
    I would like him to be on the left seat and that the animation to shift gears is with the right hand.
    I thought I had found what I wanted with the driver3d.ini file there is a line "INVERT_SHIFTING_HANDS=1"
    I thought that setting the value to 0 would work but no, the file doesn't seem to have any effect, I try to change the name of the driver or the position but nothing happens either.

Edit:
    I found out how to move the driver's position with CM. Now the problem is mainly the animation for shifting gears with the right hand. I also wanted to correctly position the hands, but for that, I would need to modify an FBX, but in Blender, the animations don't seem to work

Last edited: May 8, 2023
  2. chopsuey

chopsuey New Member

I would really like to understand why the driver3d.ini file does not work.
    Would it be CM that would overwrite this data in another file?

3. Fuzo

Fuzo Member

Driver animation is quite well explained in modding pipeline, I suggest to read it first.

4. chopsuey

chopsuey New Member

I've already looked and there's this part:

" The driver is managed by driver3d.ini script in “ AssettoCorsa/content/cars/CAR-NAME/data ”.
    The file structure is the following:
    INVERT_SHIFTING_HANDS=0 ; Set to 1 if the driver shifts with the left hand. "

And as I explained in my first post the driver3d.ini file has absolutely no effect when modified.

5. Fuzo

Fuzo Member

It does not work like that unfortunatelly, you need to create the animation of the left hand by yourself (page 33 in pipeline) or borrow it from another car with right hand steering. To make it work you need to have steer.ksanim file which controls steering animation and car_shift.ksanim animates gearbox lever which needs to be animated separatelly in sync with hand shifting movement which is stored in shift.ksanim. For paddles there is slightly different naming convention.

6. chopsuey

chopsuey New Member

I just realized that to modify the files in the data folder, you need to do "pack data" in the Content tab of CM to recreate the data.acd file. I had tried to retrieve the shift.ksanim from other cars to replace it in my car, but the animation didn't work. But now I finally understand that it didn't work precisely because INVERT_SHIFTING_HANDS was always set to 1 in the data.acd file. Now that I know how to do it, I can set INVERT_SHIFTING_HANDS=0, and the animations of other cars work. In the end, the purpose and functioning of INVERT_SHIFTING_HANDS still elude me a bit... even if I set it to 0 in my base animation, it still doesn't work.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice