SOLVED How to properly smooth physical layer with 3DS Max?

Discussion in 'Tracks' started by JoaquinPS21, Dec 8, 2017.

1. JoaquinPS21

JoaquinPS21 New Member

Working on the same conversion I asked about a few weeks ago, I decided to add a physical layer for the track, kerbs and the grass which is most close to the track; because using the visual layer as physical was pretty bad, and extremly bumpy. I extracted the track mesh and in 3DS Max, I used subdivision with NURMS and then Pro optimizer, this solved the problems a bit, but there are still some really bumpy areas, such as the two main straights you can see here

[​IMG]

Here it is the mesh structure

[​IMG]

Anyone has worked the physical layer with 3DS Max before? I'm looking forward to any advice to solve this, searched in a lot of ways in the forums but I didn't find any specific information, in a post I read that LilSKi will do a tutorial about this, but I didn't found it.

2. Johnr777

Johnr777 Moderator

That's a tough one because of the many ways to go about it. You are definitely on the right path! How much subdivision are you using? My last layout I had a good physical mesh using 0.7m subdivision and then using pro-optimize after.

3. JoaquinPS21

JoaquinPS21 New Member

Hmm, maybe I'm not using the same subdivision, because the only option I have here (and play with) is the iterations. And if that's right then I first used 2 iterations (really low poly 3D model) and then Pro Optimizer

[​IMG]

Also I checked the Modifier list, and there is another Subdivision modifier a some other smoothing modifiers, which I don't know about to (Turbo Smooth, Smooth)

4. Johnr777

Johnr777 Moderator

The second one found in the modifiers list is the one that will give control by measurement, and don’t use the smooth modifiers , stick with the pro-opt for better results

5. JoaquinPS21

JoaquinPS21 New Member

I used the subdivision modifier indicated with 0.5 subdivision, it solved pretty much the bumps, there are still some areas with some bumps, but they are minor. Thanks for the help!

6. Pixelchaser

Pixelchaser Well-Known Member

using max myself and from what i see and having been there myself ...i would say this is "not" how to go about it. the only way ive been able to create a "good & proper" physical track from the visual is by having the visual set up a certain way.

it needs to have square quads to start with. equilateral edges on those quads...

what you have will work , but its wasteful and not actually how to do it. once you have square ish quads as much as possible. simple subdivide is good and a bit of pro optimise if necessary and then more subdivide. always keeping the borders safe.

7. JoaquinPS21

JoaquinPS21 New Member

Interesting, that would probably solve the minor bumps I got in certain areas of the track
    I will take a look on that, thanks @Pixelchaser

8. Pixelchaser

Pixelchaser Well-Known Member

point to note is that your not really removing any bumps. your just giving it frequency to traverse the bumps better.

JoaquinPS21 likes this.
  9. FuzzyDice

FuzzyDice New Member

I'm struggling with this in 3DSMax. I'm a recent Max convert so be gentle.

I've created a separate "phys.fbx" file, slimmed down to just the main track surface objects. In Max, I edit poly, quadrify, weld vertices, and then smooth (under the dropdown). I collapse this. I then add a WMS subdivide (whatever it's called) to .7m spacing, collapse this. Then Pro Opt it down about 90% (protecting borders and keeping textures), then collapse that. On export, I leave turbosmooth on and smoothing groups off. Importing into the editor, I just non-render everything. I don't bother with the shader settings or materials, then export as track.

In game, phys track is worse than the original. I'm actually falling through some portions despite the subdivide. But my normals are all facing up. Nothing looks off. And I know the 1Road is being read because I'm not completely falling through space upon start. I'm sure I've done something completely offensive. I just don't see it. Can someone walk me through their process?

10. Johnr777

Johnr777 Moderator

you have to split up that physical road into separate objects, avoid having physical objects near the 65k limits

11. FuzzyDice

FuzzyDice New Member

I usually let the editor tell me if the meshes are too large. Maybe that's my problem. Are you saying that I can pass through the editor without errors and still have too large a mesh in game?

12. Johnr777

Johnr777 Moderator

yes sir! seems the limitations are more strict when the meshes have physical properties. They render fine but poof, there goes your car into oblivion :lol:

13. FuzzyDice

FuzzyDice New Member

Perfect! Here I thought it was my Max incompetence, but it's just my general incompetence. I know this was stated elsewhere, but is the 65K limit by face or vertex?

14. Johnr777

Johnr777 Moderator

all values, so vertex, faces etc

FuzzyDice likes this.
  15. FuzzyDice

FuzzyDice New Member

Thank you, sir.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice