How to make a "fence" PNG texture transparent in Editor

Discussion in 'Tracks' started by PenguinActually, Mar 14, 2018.

1. PenguinActually

PenguinActually New Member

No doubt this has been answered before but I can't find any posts anywhere on this.

I've just been messing with shaders until they look right but for this 1 texture, shader wise in the KS Editor, no matter what I set the texture to it stays solid.

I expected PerPixelAlpha and the object set to "IsTransparent" to sort it out but it seems to do nothing. I vaguely remember a long time back now, a tutorial on cars and specifically the front grill using that method but I can't re-find that either.

I have a PNG tileable texture of a chainlink fence. The chainlink itself it a dark grey / black so the "transparent" background it solid white in the editor.

I double checked the PNG file itself in Photoshop and transparency is correct. Also applying it to a face in Sketchup shows as a transparent texture.

2. luchian

luchian Administrator Staff Member

You need to select the blend mode to take into account the alpha :). In case you don't see it, filter by prefix "shader" and look at the one with skid marks material or trees.

- on Tapatalk

PenguinActually likes this.
  3. PenguinActually

I knew there was something super simple like that I was missing. Literally 2 clicks and it's sorted.

Thank you and much appreciated

luchian likes this.
  4. LilSKi

LilSKi Well-Known Member

Don't use PNG textures. Always used a compressed DDS texture.

5. PenguinActually

Will do. Thanks for the advice.

6. GRLap

GRLap Member

I am having this same issue. My fence is just solid grey, but the .dds is a chanlink. The blend mode is set to ealpha blend. The image in ks editor and the texture
    .dds are below.

On further inspection I see that the fence is visible - i.e. the links - and see-through on the spectator-side of the fence, but a solid-blob of opaque colour from the track-side. See 2nd photo.

And to make it even more confusing (for me), in blender the (material preview) the chain link fence is transparent from both sides (3rd photo). thank you in advance.

View attachment 6929 View attachment 6930 View attachment 6931

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
  7. Johnr777

Johnr777 Moderator

SUB objects means you have multiple materials assigned to the same mesh. Since AC cant deal with that, it will create SUB-objects instead, with the different materials.

In your example, the backside is the right material, the front side is not.

8. GRLap

GRLap Member

The front texture is an alpha "none", so seemingly transparent. In Blender material/texture preview mode one can look through the chain links from both sides; but in KS editor you can only look through from one side.
    What steps do you recommend to fix? Thanks.

9. Johnr777

Johnr777 Moderator

Ensure the mesh only has one material assigned.

10. quetillo

quetillo Member

According to the method to make the fence, if it is in sketchup, that program has a good face and a bad face, so in RTB one of those faces will look bad even if you put material on it.
    2. You will have to make it double-sided. I have fences but in png without problem, just like I have in dds.

11. quetillo

quetillo Member

in the ksedito you have it eAlphaBlender, it would have to be transparency and in the xpaxk or in material you would have to have it the same.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice