SOLVED Falling through terrain, but only the right edge. [SOLVED: Watch the tri. count]

Discussion in 'Tracks' started by TheReaperr, Dec 7, 2017.

1. TheReaperr

TheReaperr New Member

Basically the title.

I can drive the track perfectly fine, except when I get on the very edge on the right side. Then I'll fall off, any other part of the track is fine.

I tried some stuff with using a different material or changing geometry a bit or changing export settings on RaceTrackBuilder, but I just can't get this to work.

All my sections are less than 950m long and if I get some speed and just "jump" the fake terrain, I'm fine again. So it's only at the intersection of track and offtrack.... but only on the right side.

I imported my .fbx in blender to check the normals and they look fine as well. I'm pretty lost...

Anyone got a solution?

2. luchian

luchian Administrator Staff Member

You need to post some screenshots of your scene in the 3d program you work in so we can see the mesh, and maybe some ingame screenshots. Otherwise, it's impossible to guess where the problem lies (mesh names ? Mesh geometry ? Surfaces.ini ? Etc)

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

3. TheReaperr

TheReaperr New Member

I'm using only default surfaces at the moment (ROAD, GRASS, WALL). I understood you don't need to redefine those in a surfaces.ini

In-game the track (and surface) looks perfectly fine. No artifacts or whatever, but once I put a wheel on the right edge of the track, I fall through.

Cross-section of the left edge of the track [​IMG]

Cross-section of the right edge of the track, which is just the left side but mirrored. I tried raising the right edge a bit, but that didn't help a thing.
    [​IMG]
    Geometry mesh, I subdivided around the track to see if that would fix, but it didnt. Also its completely flat.
    [​IMG]
    Road settings. I tried unchecking Cut Terrain but that didn't help either.
    [​IMG]
    Total track layout, Left side of the track is all fine so maybe it could be because that's surrounded by the track, but as soon as I "jump the gap" the off-track is perfectly driveable again. The problem is only at the very edge of the track where the ROAD meets GRASS.
    [​IMG]

Willy Wale and luchian like this.
  4. TheReaperr

TheReaperr New Member

5. mantasisg

mantasisg Active Member

I'm unfamiliar with RTB, but the issue very much seems like if the export would not do everything right for the mirrored mesh. Do you have it in kdEditor ? Does it have "1" in front of it ?

I used to have some problems once with my Nemuno Ziedas. Never really worked out what was wrong, as I was falling through in some sections. But chopping the track into few smaller segments solved the issue for me.

luchian likes this.
  6. TheReaperr

TheReaperr New Member

Ah found the problem... Even though all my tracks were smaller than 1km, some of the sections had more than 65k triangles. Split it up some more so none of the sectors were longer than 850m and its all solid now.

Thanks for the help though, I also noticed that some GRASS parts (nowhere near the track) didn't have the 1GRASS and I fell through, so now I know I gotta be careful for that after exporting...

luchian likes this.
  7. Willy Wale

Willy Wale Member

Ooh, another city circuit. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice