Can't get blend textures to look right for track edges.

Discussion in 'Tracks' started by LockeNessMotorsports, Jan 22, 2018.

1. LockeNessMotorsports

LockeNessMotorsports Active Member

Hey,

So long time no see and yes I'm still doing it well give up and come back to it after much frustration. Anyhow I'm nearly done I'm doing the last bits damn is this getting annoying.

So I'm trying to do my blending textures I'll post my textures and masks in a moment I have a one surface blend so I can mix two together I:e concrete to gravel etc and a road edge texture I did take from Kunos Laguna Seca.

So my surfaces blend textures are on a 2k sheet and 512 in width so baically 512x2048 and my road edge I did downsize to 512x4096 instead of their 384x8192.

I've masked everything properly lofted an extra mesh in maya over the surface of the track and grass, but here's my issue it has to be the shaders in ks editor and I can't figure it out for the life of me. So it seems if you use a ks per pixel on the surface and a ks per pixel at I use on the blend texture it matches if you match the diffuse and other values.

But the issue is as soon as it's a different shader you just can't match it and I'm confused my grass is a multilayer, road is fresnel nm and my dirt and gravel are multi map nm detail shaders I saw knuos use this in their tracks.

It's either darker or lighter and there's no getting around so I'm wondering how have kunos and others done it so it matches seamlessly.

Had an issue uploading images on phone, so here's Imgur link.

https://imgur.com/a/NaguU

2. Pixelchaser

Pixelchaser Well-Known Member

sounds like you have two object and the normals have issues. they need to be pointed up where scenery is concerned. add edit normal modifier in max and have a look.

3. LockeNessMotorsports

I've moved to Maya since aha another swap, you mean the face normals? I've made sure they are flipped the appear black if they aren't so i don't think that's causing my issues. But I do see where you're coming from Pixel but i don't think that's the issue it's just confusing aha.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
  4. mantasisg

mantasisg Active Member

Your ksSpecular is really high, and ksSpecularEXP is relatively low. Also your texture colors are totally off.

I have some troubles matching them too actually.

5. LockeNessMotorsports

Yeah I'm still trying to learn shaders I have no idea what they do to be honest all i do know is that they're to do with the lighting of the texture. I have no idea how Kunos have got their Laguna to blend so well considering it's a separate mesh.

6. Pixelchaser

Pixelchaser Well-Known Member

I have this problem because of normal. my intention is to re do the main part. , but I fix it with the shaders themselves. what you do is you take the sunlight right down beyond horizon. then set ambient figures to match between objects, then put the sun directly up and match the diffuse levels.

LockeNessMotorsports likes this.
  7. LockeNessMotorsports

Cheers that's a great tip I wondered where the sun needed to be to do shaders, yeah i guess it's just playing around with it

Pixelchaser likes this.
  8. LockeNessMotorsports

I think I've nearly cracked it now it's looking allot better :) been looking at the kunos Laguna track aswell to see why they use the shaders they do and learnt quite a bit. Shaders can easily get overwhelming aha until you learn them all.

Pixelchaser likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice