SOLVED Blender 2.8 UV Unwrap

Discussion in 'Tracks' started by R8 Gordini, Oct 29, 2019.

1. R8 Gordini

R8 Gordini New Member

Hi everyone,

got stuck with UV mapping in Blender 2.8.
    What i have is a piece of road with a curve. When clicking 'Unwrap' in UV edit mode i get this:

UV1.JPG

Now my question is how to get the UV coordinates to a straight mesh. Tried 'follow active quads' in UV context, then i get this :

UV2.JPG

A bit better but not what i want. Any tips how to align UV's properly to texture?
    Thanks in advance.

MGMetroDave likes this.
  2. MGMetroDave

MGMetroDave Active Member

Hi @R8 Gordini !

You're right to go with 'follow active quads' in this context. Follow Active Quads means it'll look at a quad (just a fancy name for a 4-sided poly) that you've selected and made active, and then it'll make the other quads follow on from that.

So in other words, work on mapping a cross-section of (in your case) 3 quads across the track. Get the UV right for them, then select all the quads you want to follow this pattern, then click on the one you want to make active, then Go to U -> Follow Active quads.

What's happened in your example above is that it's followed the active quad you already had mapped. See the bottom moddle quad on your the left side of your final image and you'll see it looks different. That's the 'active' one, which it'll follow from. Hope that helps a little?

Edit: I.e. Forget about the rest of the mesh and focus on correctly mapping 3 quads across the track, then 'follow' that unwrap to the rest of the mesh.

luchian and R8 Gordini like this.
  3. R8 Gordini

R8 Gordini New Member

Life can be so easy :).
    I owe your a beer. Thanks very much.

UV3.JPG

Edit:
    'UV -> Snap to pixels -> Corner' helps pretty much

EKO Sim-Racing and MGMetroDave like this.
  4. MGMetroDave

MGMetroDave Active Member

:lol: Glad to be useful! Enjoy your track building!

R8 Gordini likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice