Advice-Opinion

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Ricardo Rey, Jul 5, 2017.

1. Ricardo Rey

Ricardo Rey Active Member

Greetings!

I am considering purchasing RTB in the next few days. I have read many pros & cons. A lot of cons. I'm wondering if it depends on expectations.

My expectation is to create a basic track in RTB using GPS data for elevations that I can get into AC. Then, import into something like Blender (I don't have 3DSMAX), to add objects and refine.
    Any opinions or advice?

Cheers!

2. Willy Wale

Willy Wale Member

Pixeldude is your man. He has gone ambitious with RTB

http://assettocorsamods.net/threads/rtb-race-track-builder.218/

Ricardo Rey likes this.
  3. Ricardo Rey

4. Ricardo Rey

OK. Last comment here. I read enough to convince me to purchase. Now the question is what track to do. Probably something to learn on and not one(s) I really want to do...Long Beach 82 & my home town track Barber. I really appreciate the courteous & helpful responses I get here. Thank you & Cheers!

5. Pixelchaser

Pixelchaser Well-Known Member

rtb is the quirkiest program you`ll ever use. I cant 100% recommend it at all Ricardo.

using gps with rtb I guess would be like me using lidar with rtb, which is possible, you make your reference objects to be used and imported into rtb to pull it off to the best quality possible. so you would make that gps line in max to be used in rtb. the google data stuff rtb pulls is rubbish.(texturing is not bad) its not going to give you anything nice that has significant height involved though. but as a polygon builder and texture mapper, I like it.

btw signup for 3dsmax legitimately and select student account. fill in the details (because they don't check) and have 3 years access.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
    Ricardo Rey likes this.
  6. Ricardo Rey

Hmm. OK. That gives me more to think about. Thank you!

7. Ricardo Rey

Additionally...
    I will be 62 this month and really want to spend time driving. I didn't have plans to do any serious modding. But since I moved to AC, there are some tracks and cars I would like in AC. Probably not of interest to the younger folks. My hope was a solution to get some of the above in AC whether they were publicly released or not. With that said the quality work you and others do spoiled me to not want to put a dull product in even for personal use. :lol: I'm not great at modding, but don't want to be just a taker, so I've always tried to contribute in some way.

luchian likes this.
  8. Pixelchaser

thing about rtb is that it thrusts you into having a track you made instantly driveable. which is a damn wonderful thing, highlands track was made with rtb (we assume), in the correct hands and with the intention of fixing all that is wrong or unachievable with rtb itself and the combined knowledge of how you would build it correctly in a full 3d program, then rtb can go as far as you want it to go. but only with that benefit of knowledge of how its really done efficiently.

Ricardo Rey likes this.
  9. Ricardo Rey

I bit the bullet and purchased RTB. Before I ask any questions I will spend some time building a test track and go as far as I can to completion. I will let you know how it goes.
    At what point should I post questions under a different post, and should they be under "RTB - Race Track Builder" topic? I don't want to get posts out of place.
    I did read about getting the track in AC with the SDK editor. I may have questions at that point.
    Please let me know. You will not hurt my feelings:)
    Cheers!

10. luchian

luchian Administrator Staff Member

If the qurstions are more or less related to the use of RTB, like "how do I..", then just post in that thread no worries.

If you get past that point and get to a project-ish, you can even start you own wip/learning thread :).

In any case, there is no "crucial" mistake, post can be moved should it all loose/make sense.

Have fun and show us your results :).

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Ricardo Rey likes this.
  11. Pixelchaser

ill be here to advise you. pm if you want. before you even complete anything you might be tearing your hair out. :lol:

I have 979 hours use in RTB. that's what you call scary.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
    Ricardo Rey likes this.
  12. Ricardo Rey

:lol:. I've already learned to ignore the "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" error message. I just hit cancel and keep going. It did import an area near my house that I will use to test, cause I know the elevations. Looks kinda like the Spa area in Belgium (Not as elevated, just terrain).

EDIT: The error message seems to occur if I put RTB in the background and do something else. It may just be a coincidence, but when I let it run in the foreground and leave my computer alone, it works.
    I have found other things that are not documented, even in Brandon's videos, so I am documenting those for you to take a look at some point. He has updates since then. Basically I am documenting from start to finish.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
    luchian likes this.
  13. Ricardo Rey

Cool race track. Complete with suicide ramp!
    Higashiyama Track.jpg

luchian likes this.
  14. Pixelchaser

go for it, just please don't get hung up on how it sometimes doesn't do what you want it too. theres flaws in google that can pass over to rtb too. also sometimes rtb wont even capture the textures in various instances. its all google dependant. some country have such old data too.

15. Ricardo Rey

Not sure I want to try building that track now, I started a test track real road/fictional that is near me. Just thought it was interesting built on a mountain like that.
    I was able to get the Google data in and a basic track down. I won't have time to work on it until Monday other than just poking around the app.

16. Pixelchaser

fictional is good. very good imo for a track starter. ive made all sorts of crazy shit learning, thinking I was coming up with worth while stuff. also it makes you dream way to big. everything ive done is practically unachievable :lol: but I do push the boat out so to speak.

and I'm still at it so to speak :lol: . here I pushed that boat out to take barringer crater in Arizona and turn it into a south American atoll island and make a speed ring on it for the hyper cars. :lol: :lol: :lol: and I always look back and think WTF am I thinking.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
    Ricardo Rey likes this.
  17. Ricardo Rey

That is soo cool! :cool:

18. Ricardo Rey

Since this thread is already off-topic from serious posts...
    I would like to see the following tracks in AC.
    Does anyone know if:
    1. They currently exist from scratch built for AC (Not conversion)
    2. Is there a WIP
    3. On anyone's list to make.

I currently don't have adequate skills to make them at a level I would like to see them done. However:
    1. I would be willing to help some one else, or
    2. Hopefully some day I can make them myself.
    • Automotodrom Brno, Ostrovacice, Czechia
    • Autodromo Riccardo Paletti, Varano de' Melegari PR, Italy
    • Zhuhai International Circuit, Xiangzhou Qu, Zhuhai Shi, Guangdong Sheng, China
    • Circuit Ricardo Tormo, Cheste, Valencia, Spain
    I would also add to the list Long Beach 82 (This is a unique layout for 1982 only. I was at this race. I actually started this track for GPL, have the basic track done for AC), and Barber Motorsport Park (this is my home track and have the basic track and would like help or help someone else at some point). I go to Barber several times a year and have attended all of the IndyCar races and have a lot of detail photos that I took that are not in any version that I have seen.

For me it's about getting them done in a quality fashion, not that I have to do them , but these are tracks that I have researched and have loads of information and photos. If there is no interest, at some point I will give it a shot, but may be way down the road.

Cheers!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  19. Ricardo Rey

A nice Notepad text editor replacement: Free
    Been using this for a while. Has it's pros and cons, but very powerful.

https://atom.io/

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice