ACC Early Access - Release 1

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by assettocorsamods, Sep 12, 2018.

1. assettocorsamods

assettocorsamods Administrator Staff Member

(*) Time for some reheated news :). Assetto Corsa Competizione, the Official BLANCPAIN GT SERIES game, was released on September 12th, in Steam Early Access program.

Born as a collaboration between Kunos Simulazioni (that gained their status due to the very popular Assetto Corsa title) and SRO, the rights holders for the Blancpain real racing series (among others), ACC is (we, the fans hope) laying the ground for the future AC2.0 (again, we hope).

I call it laying the ground because for this title, Kunos made some big changes. The most notable is the complete switch of the graphic engine. Now, they are working with the popular Unreal Engine 4, which as we know it was not exactly designed for racing games. However, when used right, the visuals are impressive!

1.jpg

The recipe is simple, at first sight: Use UE4, add the complete physics code of original AC, then improve on that. One could indeed get almost a dream package. But the road will definitely not be so smooth.

Assetto Corsa Competizione aims to reach the same or better level of simulation that we got in AC, but with improved.. everything. It will also allow players to experience the atmosphere of the FIA GT3 homologated championship. Players can compete against official drivers, teams on official cars and circuits.

Updates will be released on a monthly basis between September and February, with new tracks and cars added at each build.

"The final game will include all cars and tracks of the ongoing Blancpain GT Season, and it will also introduce career and championship modes," said the official announcement. "Furthermore, a free update will be released during the Summer of 2019, introducing the 2019 Season of the Blancpain GT Series Championship."

The first build, featured the Lamborghini Huracan GT3 and the Nurburgring circuit.
    11_acc.png

Quickly after, 2 hot fixes were also released, to correct some of the bugs, as detailed below:
    Code:
    - fixed AI remaining without fuel
    - fixed crash caused by faulty recognition of T500 Gear Shifter
    - fixed time loop after midnight
    - added starter and ignition command on Controller Page
    - fixed car lights not working when opponents visibility video option is used
    - fixed backfires and other particles visible on hidden cars when opponents visibility video option is used
    - fixed misleading option values with AA and visible opponents
    - fixed marshal spline detection
    - expanded camera FOV and frame rate limits
    - visual and LOD tweaks to the Lamborghini Huracán GT3
    - disabled saving the discord username for in build configuration
    - slightly increased the retry-interval after a disconnect from the servers
    - added proximityIndicatorsVisible setting to hud.json
    - fixed car setup menu not saving current setup correctly in some circumstances   
    Code:
    - fixed T13 track competence problems with automatic gears
    - Hotstint is starting at the Hotlap position, fixes timing and exploits
    - Hotstint will now allow the last lap to be completed
    - fixed Hotstint timing issue
    - fixed stability control option and corresponding over-corrections
    - using stability control laptimes will add a laptime penalty in the online leaderboards
    - small adjustments to nurburgring track limits
    - minor tweaks for audio voices usage
    (*) original thread starter, @mantasisg , with the post below.

2. mantasisg

mantasisg Active Member

Hi, anyone would like to discuss it ? :)

I absolutely adore physics, and the core of the game. Thanks to Steffano and Aris - it is fantastic.

But the rest is total mess. Will definitely be looking forward, but now just can't enjoy good things because of a mess.

What do you think ? Anyone would like to discuss stuff in details ? Perhaps I just had the first impression this poor, or perhaps it could be accepted as good stuff as for first release ?

3. luchian

luchian Administrator Staff Member

I did test it for about 10 minutes only.. it's a bit under what I was expecting. I will not bash it, it's a first release, but it's not "complete" enough to even test it with the limited content it has, in decent conditions. Will wait for intermediate patches or at least the next build.

mantasisg likes this.
  4. Kibbutz

Kibbutz Member

agree with luchian. It is nice to see what they're working on, I think they released this very early version to gather as much feedback as they can and hopefully step up in the next ones. Tracks are worked the same way as normal AC, I was hoping for some real 3d grass but I guess it's still too early for racing sims. Looking forward for their updates, I got some hype noticing an AC2 but it's related to competizione.

5. mantasisg

mantasisg Active Member

I just don't see the end product being good by now, I know it is early to say... Perhaps there is a chance, as it is going to take a year from now or more...

To me it is majorly under expectations. When I learned that they are going to be releasing it with a car + track and some particular features at a time, I thought that things are going to be more polished. Technically I see this first build like a demo, or big demo. And it has just too much flaws.

Some shaders are terribly off, especially in the rain. My driver seems to have got seizures in his right arm... I have got very ProjectCarish vibe a few times due to AI, looks and rather very noticeable bugs. Performance is ok when you pay attention to settings, but it is poor when you actually judge how the game looks. AC is not better in terms of graphics, but it is not all the graphics.... it is also aesthetics, the artistic side, the accents, neat modeling, neat shading, neat textures... AC is just better at that.

AC is also much much better with UI, just so much more better than ACC. ACC UI feels just like any other game, trendy, boring... AC ui is so good, that I still couldn't choose if to use Content manager (which is lets admit it rather amazing), or original Kunos UI... Also I loved that AC actual game and UI works kinda separately, for me it is beautiful, very interactive. I also like how in AC you can quickly come back from track to setup, all the apps can be selected from the right of the screen - those things added a great deal to the sim. In ACC UI just is not that, why not ? They just could have modified AC UI, but I don't understand it so whatever... In ACC everything feels caged, when in AC everything just flows.

AI in ACC couldn't figure them yet, I kept setting them to be less aggressive and they still spins me out for no reason. Can't understand.

Bugs... there are bugs... too tired to mention now... one nasty was no headlights.... I found out what is it in official forum, a really stupid bug with limited visible cars you loose headlights - neat. Rating system just stopped working for me, I also didn't understand it, it seemed like it froze....

Physics and FFB is just beautiful, really really good, though you really have almost no margin for error, the car just will slide and slide and slide, loosing control is fast, feels almost like you can't play with the car at all, well just perhaps tiny tiny slip angles for a blink of an eye.

I was really looking for a rain, it is kinda weird to me at the moment. Physics seems cool, but I can't really feel grip difference on the line and off the line, maybe they really connected that only to rubbered tarmac which is not the only case, polished tarmac is close to that... Anyway I couldn't see how could I check a wet track with rubbered line... Puddles makes you go aquaplaning - fun, but you are doomed instantly, the thing just spins out most times. Perhaps I just have to learn, but car spins out very easily when it slips. In general it is fun and immersive to drive on wet, that feel that you will loose it all any moment is fun, and then you twitch a bit some times, it is very convincing to me, but that was so with most terrible weather setting and TC on 8/8, so almost off. On other conditions I could have been nearly flat out, 5s slower laptime was more convincing than the actual driving feel. 5s slower I would expect on a damp track with wet patches, but not on a wet track with damp patches. Wetness graphically looks so wrong in so many places.

To me ACC first EA release is like beautiful sweater with stains everywhere and uncomfortable to put on.

Early Access early bashing, perhaps later we'll have late praise. Feels like so much great AC legacy got out without better replacement, not more than great new stuff got in.

6. Kibbutz

Kibbutz Member

yeah it looks like a rushed release. I think they should have waited a couple of months and let some internal testers find out most of this first release bugs, as they're very easy to spot. The AI just stop halfway through a race everytime, as you said headlights only works by taking out visibility for other cars.
    I've yet to test more wet conditions, I concentrated on dry as I can get more comparison with AC, and it seams.. easier in a way. If you follow race line it's hard to lose the car, as you get out you spin for whatever reason though. I think traction work the opposite as AC, with 1 meaning is almost off. I tested 6 (the standard), 3 and off, but I may be wrong as I had people talking and watching while driving and couldn't concentrate too much.
    I totally agree with you on UI, the only better things will be if they let you map or modify wheel settings on the go while on a track. Content Manager is simply brilliant, it's hard to do better than that, and you have so much room for personalization on race screen I think we'll never get a similar product again.
    I'm not bashing them as this was stated to be a "closed" game, I guess we're too used having the possibility to customize whatever we want in the regular AC. But they will have to grow a lot in these months, the track feels like a 10years old one with reworked textures.
    What I'm saving right now are ffb and loading times, I'd say nothing more. But still I'm pleased with this early release as I like to test thing out and see them changing (for the better I hope!)

mantasisg likes this.
  7. mantasisg

mantasisg Active Member

Yes, low numbers means little abs or TC, there is a spectre in setup interface, explains clearly. I just noticed that.

I agree about FFB it is very good. Surprisingly lots of people seems unhappy, I suppose they never used gyro effect in AC.

And physics IMO almost perfect, maybe they are perfect, I just feel like the slip angle peak is at insanely low angle. Kinda feels harsh. I love how the car is over the slip angle, really dangerous. It just comes at such early angle.

8. mantasisg

mantasisg Active Member

So beginning to get fun after 4 hours of playtime.

Few things learned, or changed which was really making it bad:
    • Game seems to be looking a bit better on "High" than "This is Epic Dude" settings.
    • Less secondary foliage seems to look better somehow.
    • Lights work when you have visible cars "off", so you can drive in the dark - yay !
    • Cars seems less tight and a bit more playful with as low as possible TC and ABS settings, even with storm you can get away with 5-6 TC.
    • So low number means less TS or ABS, and it makes car feel more free, more progressive.
    • Ratings started to work so it gave a little goal.
    • Didn't had right driver arm non-stop seizure bug, it was really annoying yesterday.
    Some of stuff which i think really should have been in already, or there shouldn't be the issue:
    • The need to search for the grip in wet. It is not there, you only have to learn where there can be too much water which can cause aquaplaning.
    • A mode where you could start with wet track, but it would be drying all the time. Really expected to have an event like that, all the events are dry.
    • Reliable AI, an AI which wouldn't just stop for no reason, or would be ramming you like noobs even with half of agressiveness setting.
    • Yellow flag, yellow flag all the time, from the first till the last lap.
    • The wet tracks looks too artificial, and very artificial in the night. Also very dark, of course everything should have more grey tones, but it shouldn't allways get so dark, even with little rain.
    • The rubber is not the only reason why racing line gets more slippery. Though we don't get to try it in this release. In general it is the smoothness of the surface which does it. Racing line in some places could be polished because of heavy usage. Painted lines should be more slippery if the paint is thick. Concrete kerbs too, unless they are somehow treated ?
    • Can't wait for online leaderboards to get activated.

Even though there are some important stuff missing, or not adjusted, I really enjoyed wet track driving with as lowish as possible TC and ABS, it is really awesome ! With alternative racing lines and nicer wet track visually it would be 10/10 experience.

Kibbutz likes this.
  9. mantasisg

mantasisg Active Member

So I cought the moment when online leaderboards were working. Chose the first event, and decided to pick aggressive setup. And what a gamechanger !

Leaderboards giving good motivation, and the aggressive setup unchained the car and it actually was quite playful and awesome to drive, at the moment i don't have any complaints about physics and ffb at all. Had just a few, now i have none.

10. Kibbutz

Kibbutz Member

3d grass displacement is killing me, I ain't got time to try again for the next couple of days.. But you're really making me want to drive under the rain!
    dynamic track conditions would be great, and I think they'll come as it shouldn't be too hard creating different presets for grip to change on the go, the only problem I see for that is visual. It would be great having wet condition and while cars keep passing on race lines having only that drying more each lap, leaving the outside untouched.

11. mantasisg

mantasisg Active Member

You are doing 3D grass ? Or you dislike ACC 3D grass ? :D

Sorry for making think about using ACC :D But after figuring out what is what right now it is really growing on me. One issue right now is that they probably adjusting some online stuff, so online connection with leaderboards is on and off... Competing online will be a major entertainment in ACC, I am sure about it. Just driving is not so interesting anymore for someone like me, even though the physics are really impressive. I need competition, and even online leaderboards for a hotlap is huge thing, making it so much more involving.

I'm getting used to ACC physics, and I can not describe how much I like it, I am really enjoying pushing those gt3 cars towards their limits (and I am not even a fan of GT3 cars :lol:). Yesterday I had big frustration from ACC, and today I feel like it is significantly outweighted by awesome experience already.

I still keep my critcism, complaints. But behind them there is really epic experience already, just had to get through.

12. Kibbutz

Kibbutz Member

I'm doing it for my track, and at the same time I dislike ACC's one, or rather I'm disappointed.. I had hoped for real 3d grass and not panels one to make their appearance in a racing game but it's probably still too early.
    Something like the one you can see on the right, under trees is stunning the effect you got.
    [​IMG]

it has all the premises for one of the best online racing game of our times (wich means mostly all the time :D )
    gt cars are the "easier" to drive for first timers too, AC online is proof of that with the busiest channels being the gts one. And they're lot of fun, you can still gently knock who's in front of you without compromising races both in reality than in sim. I'm really looking forward for the multiplayer system.
    Don't worry about tempting me, just looking at the icon on desktop or g27 on my right is enough to do it every second :ROFLMAO:

13. mantasisg

mantasisg Active Member

Yes those vertical fins aka 3D grass is sometimes an annoying thing. It is either to sparse, or either too tall, or it makes for bad performance, or it doesn't shade well, doesn't match the lighting well, hard to get colour right at all places, problems with transparency and rendering, looks bad from steep angles...

ACC will definitely rock the simracing, I got so much into driving it yesterday, I am already thinking what if...someday....more than only gt3... :D

This is exactly how my driving feels to me in ACC, just a bit less nervous because lambo is not a Mclaren, and slightly slower because I am not a pro.

Someone should put on ACC HUD on this video, with CC rating being generated, and feedback messages coming "Way Over The Limit" at each sector :D

Pixelchaser likes this.
  14. Pixelchaser

Pixelchaser Well-Known Member

yeah what is with the "way over the limit" . I think ACC is just fantastic. like ac popped out to the shops for a swanky new coat :lol: and comes out as a Dapper AC ! hehe

I find myself doing a minimum of 20 laps each occasion, and in the wet too. medium rain driving is just nice. I think the endurance aspect and the smooth approach needed is going to suit my far to safe `n` slow driving style.

Those headlights must be placeholders coz they`re awful. with some art there, its going to look utterly amazing. oo lah lah ac becomes a handsome gentleman with suit n tails for fine dinning evening wear in a posh restaurant under a rain filled sky, the quartet playing and the wine delicious. :lol:

I love how its exe is titled ac2 :lol:. typical kunos joke.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
    mantasisg and paul_wev like this.
  15. Pixelchaser

folks enjoying release 2 ?

ive found myself quite fond of the misano track. just its technicality though. that Bentley isn't much fun in comparison to the lambo`...

paul_wev likes this.
  16. mantasisg

mantasisg Active Member

I think I don't have to continue on what I have started to talk about in official forums, all I wanted was to talk about differences between R1 and R2 handling, as I considered it quite an important subject, well... now I feel like the most hated person there.

I also still have stuttering issues.

Other than that sort of stuff, R2 is really good I really enjoy doing those special events and rating system, though everything in my mind goes down to handling, even when I think about ratings. It is hard to talk about ACC right now as they even label my opinions as propaganda, when I just want to discuss simulation.

P.S. @Pixelchaser what did you mean about tires in my "unpopular opinion" thread ? I did not understand it, could you explain ?

17. Pixelchaser

not everyone is a philosopher and or willing to engage in such depth of talk over there. I get where you come from and what you are considering Mantasisg. generally people in groups are inherently stupid to a large extent with the group mentality thing. you just cant have chat like that there.

I was trying to emphasise that if the tyre characteristics are to be felt over the lifetime of a tyre from good to useless. then the initial and base FFB characteristics should be quite "comfortable" quite dampened. and not the sharply spicey FFB I think you seem to hope for. any sharp and spicey character comes from "adding" forces which characterises the usage and age of the tyre

none of this FFB is simulation. its all Psuedo stuff really

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    AccAkut likes this.
  18. Kibbutz

Kibbutz Member

I have yet to try the new release, I'm hitting a wall on my track and I haven't done anything else these days. I guess first 2/3 days one should never leave a feedback, there's too many casual gamers writing bullshits after 2minutes play only

19. mantasisg

mantasisg Active Member

@Pixelchaser Well thats not entirely a philosophy, but there is indeed some of it because lack of data (basicaly no data just feel) must admit :D I strongly believe that FFB has to be recreated as closely as the real steering wheel would translate forces and thats it, no magic helping stuff going on. Very sad that the group there is like that...

As for tire it is all about how it grips and how it is flexing and responding to inputs. I can't really work too much with inputs, because the outputs of FFB is already taking away a lot of needed inputs.

@Kibbutz thats true, but spent time is not everything, you also have to measure well your knowledge. I don't have perfect knowledge so I admit a possibility of being wrong and thats it. Ideally it would be best to gather data, match it and make proper conclusions...

Anyway....

I had very much challenge doing race event yesterday. AI is really nice to race against. They still seem to leave gaps too easily some times and slow down a bit too much in few places, however if you leave gaps for them they really takes them, you are really being raced by them. Also despite sometimes becoming a bit too slow, they also sometimes are much faster. Seems like they would be varying in pace a lot through a session. So far my best result is 4th. The SA and RC rating adds a lot of goal and fun. I hate to think that I don't really have to think about car control at all, it is just so easy to keep it in control, too easy, but racing is challenging, hopefully not going to be simplified.....

I noticed that spray doesn't affect windshield visibility at all, I forgot to turn on wipers and drove few laps, almost didn't notice them missing :lol:, But this is EA, hopefully spray will be full challenge.

Challenge vs Make Money, thats hardest thing to simulate I suppose. I wonder if alternative wet racing lines will actually make it to the game, as obviously they are going to be too hard, just like car handling in R1, or spray affecting windshield visibility. Thats how it is.

20. Pixelchaser

pcars 2 even has lateral spray ! :lol: I think how you treated over there was un fair, especially when that moderator or dev said take a week to think about it. but very often these hidden made up on the spot social rules do confuse me. sometimes theres just no other way than to be cunts apparently.

btw I get what you mean about the easiness of it. and I have though damn this is too easy. but only compared to my past performance in every sim. which does lead me to believe that there is some emphasis on the whole endurance racing concept within the presentation of what it is. is it right or wrong I got no idea ! ill start getting opinionated when its 1.0 I think. none of it needs opinion just now.. it might be early access but that itself is just a marketing gimmick. and if were them I wouldn't be reading any of their forum shite. its all shit. they need internal testers not us assholes.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
    mantasisg and paul_wev like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice