QUESTION What shaders do you use in kseditor for different objects ?

Discussion in 'Tracks' started by LockeNessMotorsports, Aug 17, 2017.

1. LockeNessMotorsports

LockeNessMotorsports Active Member

Hey, I'm testing pats acres and need help with what shaders to use I'll list below :).

The Tarmac:

Road lines:

The pits

Grass

Kerbs

Guardrail

Dirt (separate mesh)

Plastic barriers

Trees:

Cheers :)

2. Johnr777

Johnr777 Moderator

http://assettocorsamods.net/threads/photo-quality-road-surface.834/
    THE BEST shader setup for roads!

For trees you use ksTree.

For grass, you can use ksGrass, however, venture into the ksMultilayer setup once you get the hang of shaders, with masks and multiple detail maps, things look very realistic this way.

For objects/kerbs/barriers/guardrail, you can use ksPerPixelNM, so its the main texture + normal map, which can be created in photoshop, with the Normal/Bump map filter.

Hope this helps!

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
    luchian and Pixelchaser like this.
  3. LockeNessMotorsports

I've seen that tutorial before one bit i was a little confused on the cracks he did, the mask but mainly on the detail maps are they basically 1024x1024 pieces of concrete just to add more detail or what? that's the only pieces I got confused with even after reading it many times.

4. Johnr777

Johnr777 Moderator

Yes, the detail maps are 2 extra textures used for close up detail, one gives it the asphalt look... the other gives the cracked, rough look. Both are controlled by a RGB mask. If you use only the red channel, you only get one detail map to show, but if you start to use another colour of that mask, say blue, then you can get the crack detail map to show as well.

The mask is fairly simple, in photoshop anyways... you start with a black texture, then in the channels tab, you'll see 3 channels, RGB. Select the channel you want to use, then start colouring it. 100 percent white on a channel means that channel is 100 that colour, it will show the detail map 100 %.

50% (grey) on another channel, means you'll get another detail map to blend in around 50%.

And so on... its one of the more complicated shader setups, but it's the one that makes things look awesome!

luchian likes this.
  5. Pixelchaser

Pixelchaser Well-Known Member

the theory for the shader is that the shader is designed to "blend".

if you look at a piece of concrete from far away, you cant see its detailed cracks or fine grain., You just see the colouring and as you get closer then the details pops in. so the multilayer shaders replicate that.

for scenery kunos don't really do that though, they leave the diffuse as a plain colour white. so this leaves the grass textures to naturally loose their detail without blending, I think because of compounding colours don't always work together.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
    luchian likes this.
  6. LockeNessMotorsports

Thank you all for the clarification I got really confused on the mask aha so it's basically paint said colour where you want the cracks to show up

7. barf

barf Member

Has anyone got road-sign reflectivity settings down, and able to share their numbers?

: shader, shaders
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice