Tyres and Racing conditions in Assetto Corsa

Discussion in 'In The Pits' started by assettocorsamods, Aug 5, 2016.

?
  1. Dusty

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Old

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Slow

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Green

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  5. Fast

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  6. Optimum

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  7. Ambient Temp. 10-20 deg

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  8. Ambient Temp. 20-30 deg

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  9. Ambient Temp. 30+ deg

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. assettocorsamods

assettocorsamods Administrator Staff Member

I remember sometimes back, there was a discussion on AC forums comparing the lap times of Mclaren P1 and Ferrari. What was important about it though, were not the actual figures, but some interesting (and clarifying) information from Aris himself, the physics guru in Kunos team.

I will quote/summarize the information below, figure it might be handy when what AC does, is not matching with what AC should do according to one's "own physics" :D

Aris, from Kunos:
    Just to clear up the tyres situations as we understand it is confusing to some... What follows is only for the hardcore simracers :D

When TopGear tested the Pagani Hauyra, the laptime was nothing sort of incredible... the fans noted that the car had some "strange" tyres fitted for the fastlap and in the end both TG and Pagani admitted that the car was fitted with some "special tyres". Those tyres were actually slick tyres, hand cut with some rudimental tread.

We simulated those tyres in the huayra and so we are using them (in the correct dimensions) in the other hypercars too. They are trully slick tyres, even way too grippy and probably they last too much... We called them trofeo because... too long story... but they are proper slicks.

The actual cars though do use the street tyres and if you want absolute realism and laptimes, then I would recommend street tyres and green track conditions with cold weather.

AC by default simulates a nirvana optimum grip. This is good as theoretically this grip can be achieved.. but probably never will be. Also it is good for mass market and helps the new comers to have a less hard impact with simracing world. That's also why we put the semislicks tires as default choice. Good for new comers means more sales and more sales means more licenses which is a good thing for everybody.

Hardcore simracers should know better and use the proper tyres, the proper circuit grip, the proper ambient temp and so on. It's not that hard to do and should give them more satisfaction. But as usual, we always get complains from "hardcore simmers" for too much grip or whatever.. it is a bit strange how one can called himself hardcore but spent no time to investigate and find the proper setting. Anyway, sorry for the rant, I do understand that everybody sees things in a different perspective and everybody has a valid point.

In the particular case of the Nurburgring, here are some things to remember. It's cold and humid. Even at the summer. When I crashed my M3 some years ago (where you can see the ARIS KURVE as my friends actually draw that graffiti on the track for real LOL), it was mid august.. I was time attacking and rain started heavily with "rivers" crossing the road. I aquaplaned at 170kmh... **** happens.

For the Ring, I would put the track to slow maybe and certainly keep the ambient temperature always under 15°C.

Wonder how many people do actually race on these conditions ? :)

..aaand in order to find out, I have created a cunning Poll :D

You can select 2 options; ideal would be to chose:

1 track condition
    1 temperature range

The ones you use the most. Let's see what this brings out in the open : P

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice