SHADER tarmac material & texture

Discussion in 'Tracks' started by Mitja Bonca, Nov 18, 2014.

1. Mitja Bonca

Mitja Bonca Active Member

Hello, new one this forum so hello to everyone.

1. I would like to know how to do a decent road (tarmac) textures.
    So far I was only uisng textures (dds files) from other tracks, and did some small changes on them in photoshop, but this is not it. I want detailed textures, that they look nice and clean even from a close look.

2. And next, I would like to learn how to create all 4 types of textures for Normal Map (for ksPerPixelNM).
    I know some photopshop, but I`m not some kind of an expert yet. I know how to do the aphla channel for example.

2. luchian

luchian Administrator Staff Member

Hello Mitja and welcome.

Seen your question, but time seems to be a show stopper lately (including this time). I suppose you are not referring only to basic shader use, but to how would one actually create those textures ? In which case I myself come from a modelling background, so probably I'm not the best explaining all the whys and hows in texturing.
    I was able to obtain this wall using the ksPerPixelMultiMap material settings that AC member Sneer shared on his site and on AC forums.

Rendered result:
    wall_ingame.jpg

2048x2048 basic diffuse texture (dds DXT5, with alpha layer 50% transparency):
    wall_diffuse.jpg

2048x2048 DDS DXT1 Normal (made with Crazy Bump - available as demo) << does this also answers your question #2 ?
    wall_nm.jpg

1024x1024 DDS DXT1 Concrete detail
    wall_detail.jpg

There is also a TxMap, but wasn't able to see any difference in the end result no matter what I've used. Probably did something wrong :). Anyways, these are the few things I can share at this point. Sorry I can't help more, maybe some other talented people around could share some of their findings :).

3. Mitja Bonca

Sorry, I meant ksPerPixelMultiMap. There are 4 different images:
    - diffuse
    - normal
    - map
    - detail

Diffuse is a basic image, detail is for some special details (like some skid marks or what ever), normal is used for the make surface more detailed, but what is map about? And am I right about the other three types?
    For creating Normal Map I tried to install Invida tools (since I have Nvidia graphics card too) but soeme how its not working, in my Photoshop CS3 there is no option for it. I will try to use the one you suggested (Crazy Map - do you know how long lasts the demo?).
    Btw, you are helping a lot, I am a very beginner in this business, and its very interesting stuff (besides Im a programmer in C# as well for ages). Thx, really appreciate it.

4. luchian

luchian Administrator Staff Member

Diffuse
    - it's the classical type of texture. It can contain some detail, but avoid a 'grainy' look, as it will only add 'noise' in the closeup shots

Normal - mainly used to add depth detail without actually modelling it. From my experience, in AC it works great in direct sun light; not so great when in shadow (like in my parking). CrazyBump should be available as demo for 20 or 30 days, don't remember exactly.

Detail - typical sizes for this texture will be 1024x1024, or 512x512 according to the type of surface you are modeling. It has to be tile-able, as it will be repeated as many times as you'll indicate in the shader's settings. It is used to give that cool detail when looking up close, or taking those closeup shots. Its visibility is set by the transparency of alpha layer you have setup in the diffuse texture.
    Details like skid marks will be added on a separate mesh with separate shader. See THIS

Map - I still haven't managed to properly use it. It should help to map out your main texture and add variation in the complete work. It will "mask" parts of the main texture according to the main colors/channels: red, green, blue.

Mitja Bonca likes this.
  5. Mitja Bonca

Hi, my tarmac still looks ugly from a close look. And I use ksDetail image, which btw us not even visible? Do you think it has to do with other images, like ksMaps?

6. Pixelchaser

Pixelchaser Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

so in my image here I use a completely red colour for the map mask.

the red on the map tells the game I want this close range texture here.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
    luchian likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice