TOOL RTB- Race Track Builder

Discussion in 'Tracks' started by Pixelchaser, Mar 22, 2015.

1. Pixelchaser

Pixelchaser Well-Known Member

so brendon has set the multilayer up for being painted in the software. and much like my techniques. infact.. im sad I cant do this on ascari with this tool

:( <- ali`s sad face.

luchian likes this.
  2. luchian

luchian Administrator Staff Member

So you can generate the mask with RTB ?

Also, why can't you use this on Ascari ?

3. Pixelchaser

because we cant put ascari into RTB. not yet anyway.

AC engine prefers not to use vertex blending. but painting the mask similarly is actually the same thing. but its not written to uv corrdinates just a texture already with coordinates.

It was quite haphazard generating higher detailed mesh, but in Brendons latest video, if we don't associate the project to AC we can dictate by paint brush exactly what the size of a triangle is right down to 1 m.

luchian likes this.
  4. Pixelchaser

<light bulb moment> Actually... :lol:. if one was to create a plane in RTB the same size as coverage of texture for ascari I could paint the ascari mask after loading the textures onto it.

luchian likes this.
  5. liquido

liquido Active Member

That's one of the thing we have allready done for Ascari, isn't it? what about Thunder hill?

6. Pixelchaser

we paint the mask texture first normally (according to info on the diffuse) in photoshop, then scale the close textures textures within that scheme of the mask and hope for the best.

RTB allows there to be painting directly with an already scaled texture for the multilayer, that's the difference basically.

luchian and liquido like this.
  7. Pixelchaser

more playing last night what seems too simple on the surface reveals a super amount of precision possible. Tonight I managed to intersect many tracks really well. automatically actually. which is just crazy. mapping a real road roundabout is so damn tricky with 5 roads coming away from it. in RTB you can create that in minutes. all joined up and working so well. amazingly power full.

not the best layout obviously. but this really didn't take long. and that's the point.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
    liquido and luchian like this.
  8. liquido

liquido Active Member

I did something like this in the Coll de bucs stage and I need lot of time to do the same... and I need to edit it in external software to be happy.

Great eaxmple Ali, the more I see the more I like it.

9. sunfffd

sunfffd New Member

hey guys,
    just found this on youtube, looks incredibly easy

10. luchian

Well.. even without RTB is fairly easy to make a basic track (ok, maybe not THAT easy but still). Usually it takes 10-30 minutes to get a basic track in. The rest of 999.5h are needed to reach AAA quality :).

11. Pixelchaser

RTB got Objects today in its latest update. getting close to being able to use it nicely \o/

luchian likes this.
  12. Babbu70

Babbu70 New Member

'm doing my first track using RTB , blendeer , and also sketchup because I know better . Pera amount when the work FBX in blender , do changes , and then carry on kseditor , you lose the details , like the trees , textures ect . but I think I do the correct steps . can you help me?. This would improve it take to get the product :)

Attached Files:

13. luchian

Hello @Babbu70 , welcome to the forums

AC graphical engine does not support double sided materials. So, you need to make your objects double-sided.
    You can see more info HERE.

Also, the one that look best, are Y-shape trees (all Kunos tracks use them). There is also a naming-convention in order to improve performance and auto-handle the normals for best lightning. See more info HERE.

14. Mr Whippy

Mr Whippy Active Member

So is anyone else actually making tracks with this yet?

Did anyone watch this video? It's the iRacing build pipeline.

In the end I like the idea of some of these tools, but on almost everything I've worked on from new circuits, to old ones, to roads, to whatever else, there are always intricacies that these tools can't cover off, so you're back to writing your own tools/scripts to help, and to do that you need a tool like Blender/Max etc.

This tool makes the easy stuff easier, but the harder stuff is still off it's radar.

By the time you do the easy stuff here and then bring it to Blender/Max to work on, you are at risk of big costs each time you need to tweak the original base as it's just a big transitional cost each time.

All tools have their place though, but I like having full unfettered control of everything at every step, for commercial work it's reassuring, and for hobby work then it's great for perfectionism :D

Dave

luchian and liquido like this.
  15. saxohare

saxohare New Member

I bought RTB, tried a few circuits, then i needed another 3D tool to do the things you can't do in RTB.

Now i use blender from start till end, perhaps when importing fxb files in RTB is possible i'll try it again

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
  16. Pixelchaser

Today I find out that you can do absolutely anything in RTB. 2 hours work. I am really really "REALLY" annoyed at myself lately for treating RTB in respects to what I believed it can not do.

so this is something I was working on ages ago and effectively gave up. anyway I had this thought last night and tried it today and made this in 2 hours. its a complicated road object. around 10 intersecting roads with perfectly aligned geometry, nicely aligned nodes and cross sections. what you cant see is that it has camber just like the real road and real roundbout. im blown away and very very happy now. I hope you guys can understand why this is pretty amazing. trying this earlier in the year over a couple of months defeated me :lol:. but not today ! hahaha. this would take you days in blender or max.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

so there are no kerbs...... we deal with perfectly curved and aligned kerb formations in the same way through the hierarchy of what road cuts what. so under these road edges I will create a new road cross section. it will have half a metre of road, the then kerb, then joining out to grass blend area with the main terrain. and as long as I take the time to align it. all the roads will intersect with it and cut the half metre road section where required and voila. and if RTB can do this then it literally can pretty much do anything. even road lines. that should just involved adding a new road that trumps all other roads in the hierarchy. stopping and starting where ever it wants. I think what I will do is re uv map the whole object on 1 texture and build some roads around it to join to it. then it becomes repeatable object anywhere in the world. \o/

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
    luchian likes this.
  17. Pixelchaser

:lol: im getting really excited now for RTB. then brendon releases this video of new features. really cool many statistical information on screen. which is utterly essential.

luchian likes this.
  18. Pixelchaser

update went live today. having these statistical references for heights and placement has literally doubled the value of this product now. cant wait to put something with real data into it now.....

19. Pixelchaser

so damn cool now. seriously cool.
    that roundabout project. 10 interesting roads, 4 textures, low poly. great thing is too to make separate physical layer is even easier in rtb and it has auto noise generation. so this around 12000 poly can be made with same geometry and around 120000 poly :)

this shows all cross section on 1 of 10 sections of roads. x,y showing on red nodes, distance between nodes,

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
    luchian likes this.
  20. Pixelchaser

not much to see here, but I really love where this random idea is going. I used RTB without google height data or imagery and came up with this, its 3d modelled terrain under the water which is transparent layer and designs by me. especially loving the coral. I should make close coral textures for the hell of it. even though a car would never see it unless there was a bridge :lol:

btw if you think about it, using a properly good lod system these island chains could go on for a long long way. and be driveable.

now if someone can mod the underwater james bond car then we are good to go sight seeing around Ali`s paradise. hahhahah

btw we drive on the left in alis paradise ! :lol:

edit. hmmm. underwater physics layer......... surely if they can make a plane for ac, they can make a boat ! the Maserati 250 is like driving a boat anyway, reversing aero principles could produce speed buoyancy. :lol:.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice