Featured TUTORIAL Race Track Builder - Inject elevation data and terrain texture

Discussion in 'Tracks' started by Wurstkoffer, Sep 17, 2017.

1. Pixelchaser

Pixelchaser Well-Known Member

well. this amazing bunch of scripts in one, called "a program" we can completely bypass max altogether.

btw do you own RTB ? if not please stop it.

2. r@m

r@m Active Member

:lol:, you're such a fanny fart. "derail & destroy".

I have a copy but I'll never own it, waaaaay over priced for what it's capable of, massively limited in features beyond grabbing low res terrain with textures.

If it was capable of outputting mesh without the over convoluted steps of the OP,then maybe it would be worthwhile...but until then:

[​IMG]

...certainly not worthy of the praise some people choose to give it.

You use Max every day, and you use Max to optimise the mesh, my question was why on earth put it back into something with such limited features?

3. Pixelchaser

well its certainly off topic now. I get that you and other hate it, but it doesn't actually deserve any hate. there is a big difference and personally I accept it as a valid form a development in a reasonable workflow. that just means I like laying out the exact same polygons in RTB more so than in max, its more fun to do the same thing.

most other peoples opinions come in the form of "well ive never used max before" and id like to play around and see what I can do. and that's where you have taken this amazingly off topic just to have a pop at me, yet again. unless you got beef with non max users using it ? is that the case here ram ? you got issues with everyone else who cant use max or blender ?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
  4. r@m

r@m Active Member

You think anyone with a differing opinion or criticism is "having a pop at you" and is full of "hate"...:lol:.

...get a grip man, you argue like a defensive child.

5. Pixelchaser

so posting a picture of bob the track builder is your way of saying what ?

that is not critique ram.

given this has happened so much before, cant we agree to disagree ? its just that this is the thread for doing new stuff with rtb, it doesn't need any other opinions, it needs people making good of whats before us. and that's Wurstkoffer fabulous endeavours.

6. r@m

r@m Active Member

It's called humour, but wet wipes like yourself choose to be offended and take the opportunity to get on your well worn subjective soapbox.

Your defensive whining is the only reason this is continuing...give it a rest.

7. Pixelchaser

yeah ill give it a rest and then ill kick off the thread with even more positive contributions from rtb as per usual. coz that's the fact of the matter here.

8. Les Neilson

Les Neilson Active Member

@Pix, can you let me have the kn5 you've compiled? I'm assuming there''s no way I can do it myself without max, right? No rush, I won't be able to check it out till tomorrow night at the earliest, and anyway I'll be hard at work on Oulton Park the moment I get in... ;)

In theory I could make some buildings, greenery etc and export them as a separate element without having to do optimisation all over again, right?

9. Pixelchaser

yes of course. but what I was thinking was putting time into the project, so you can test it yourself and leave you in a position to go forward better than you can now. that would be better for you. ill lay some dividers and force rtb to do what we need it to for you. it already cuts up when set to ac export in the top menu/venue... so be trying that first.

rtb is about to receive terrain node editing by the looks of it. alongside this injection this will be power full.
    26840995_1626582884077238_1847633252469959124_o.jpg

Les Neilson likes this.
  10. Les Neilson

Interesting! Where did you read this? The Facebook page?

11. Pixelchaser

yeah, an update post today.

12. Les Neilson

Actually there were a couple of noticeable spikes in the terrain mesh, one is still visible, the other was on the road, but the track crushed it pretty effectively. This is good news...

13. Pixelchaser

use as much from the track/road as you can, its more controlable than scenery, but with the terrain snap options actually capable of doing something nice now, wherever you might need a change you can just add a cross section and tune it everywhere. never be driving on the background terrain surface if you can avoid it.

ill put together a project to share of glaisdale, and we can get it to a stage where you can work on it and export it and avoid max, trust me when I say you can require max less now to achieve a reasonable project to learn and enjoy and especially with all this new rtb stuff coming.

14. Pixelchaser

this version I work on just now works straight out of rtb into ac. bit more tinkering and ill send it over with the project folder Les.

15. Pixelchaser

playing around with just how much it can capture beyond what I think is reasonable and it can get pretty bumpy. bloody good fun though.

this is 50% terrain snap tether per 2 metre panels. (last one was 1 metre panels @ 25% snap) which was nice, maybe too smooth, I'm expecting 33% to work well everywhere for the road surface and tuning there after can be done.

Les Neilson likes this.
  16. Pixelchaser

bunch of files in pm les. the track is fantastic but a bit long tbh. needs a co-pilot to help with navigation :lol: seriously.

Les Neilson likes this.
  17. Pixelchaser

haha ! this will be excellent...eventually fully controllable scenery vertices on all axis !

Les Neilson likes this.
  18. Les Neilson

I'm sure there is an app for AC that works like a co-driver. I've never tried it

19. Les Neilson

Just driven it for the first time, cheers mate! That's pretty good fun! Yeah, I definitely think it has potential... Hedges and walls and farm buildings all the way round would give it much more atmosphere

Pixelchaser likes this.
  20. Pixelchaser

I reckon you could do half a kilometre a week, studying the road side and content. eventually have a cool road to rally online. any joy with oulton ? I can send my single tile lidar if you want?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice