W.I.P. Project: Shire, Glen Rannoch

Discussion in 'Tracks' started by Pixelchaser, Dec 24, 2016.

1. Pixelchaser

Pixelchaser Well-Known Member

in the last 10 hours ive layed 60 km of light poles. 48 km of Armco barriers, and 32 km worth of cats eyes :lol:. also RTB has the most fantastic grass tools it seems. didn't know that before.
    [​IMG]

Les Neilson and luchian like this.
  2. luchian

luchian Administrator Staff Member

:lol: you are nuts. But I like it.

3. Pixelchaser

not nuts enough. the lod system that will go on here will make it work. :lol: I hope.

[​IMG]

4. LilSKi

LilSKi Well-Known Member

Does RTB grass follow the normals of the ground? Or do they all just point straight up?

5. Pixelchaser

RTB doesn't do normals well at all for track objects or walls just yet but the scenery is quite good really. I use Fresnel all over the scenery. the road only has up normal. the issues I have with my kerbs are obscene. the scenery is fine though it has its normal based on shape contour. and when you add a track you can command the edge section of that track to use terrain normal. or indeed they can just point up by unchecking some box. its the most quirky annoying program you can ever work with. so everything I do works around its many foibles to be honest.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  6. LilSKi

LilSKi Well-Known Member

Sounds like a terrible experience.

7. Pixelchaser

well terrible is an opinion, I think what matters is the end result of working with it. coz I know you cant lay every single object here in less than 60 seconds in blender or 3dmax. that's where its not so terrible. the rest of the time normally spent can be plowed into generating realism within its mechanisms.

[​IMG]

8. LilSKi

LilSKi Well-Known Member

I just don't see much of any benefit to wasting the money on RTB to make substandard tracks. But as said that is just my opinion.

Also AC works best with Y shaped trees. Those shown look terrible in my opinion

9. Pixelchaser

:lol: I don't spend 60 seconds making trees to be with happy with it in game. and it didn't spend the whole of summer cycling over 20 miles a day capturing HDR tree images from the exact angles I needed to come and use those :lol:. . it was an example FFS. anyway you just want to ridicule everything about everything Lilski and I just don't get it, but its a fact your damn attitude is terrible. and expecially towards me, you don't even fucking know me. or my history in modding in flightsims or the early race sims which did have both private and public interests. the only problem I have is I used to have a 3d modellor, a sound guy a physics guy and now I will do it all myself slowly learning. I just happen to chose to try my ideas in RTB since I "wasted" the money on it. (half agree there but never the less....)

10. LilSKi

LilSKi Well-Known Member

Sorry it isn't you I just hate RTB with an absolute passion. I hate that it has flooded the scene with half complete, and horrible performing tracks that look like they are from 1998.

And for the record I have never taken a single photo of a tree in my life for use on my tracks. All of my trees are 100% synthetic images. And what pisses me off even further is I even offered a full set of my trees to be included in an Xpack but it never came to be it seems. So now you are stuck with those horrific looking things that semi resemble trees.

11. Pixelchaser

I totally get that it has flooded the scene with shit. since f1 challenge the modding scene has been 95% shit anyway so its no different really. The only tracks I'm prepared to even consider driving on are yours Lilski. if my track is shit then so be it ill stop making and stop trying to push my goal of bringing something different to our beloved AC sim. the reason I keep giving up is because its not working out because I know whats shit and what is worth while. and you haven't seen anything released from me, had I released stuff then youd be absolutely spot on. but at present I believe I'm getting somewhere, but its been two years playing with RTB quirks. and that's not an investment at all but whats happened has happened. ill continue. because the benefit of having my 12km square track is immeasurable.

my opinion is that someone who really knows what they are doing in 3dmax blender etc can make good use of it. that's why I just try this massive scenery concepts out. coz its the only thing rtb is good at. its a good pay off imo, and especially when ill do my finishing in a real 3d program.

you might do quite well with it I reckon. but the simple fact is you don't need it at that expense.

I use the default stuff as place holders and part of testing. all that Armco barrier shit I did yesterday wont export for example. so I need to leave that to max. today its trees, my question is how much can I push this RTB`s automation. then ill random the objects up. and replace the object with whats in my xpack etc.

hey, as a little test, I will put some actual kunos content into RTB to see how it performs.

I believe RTB can be good in the right hands, with the right objects and content. only noobs ever bought it you see. (that must include me) so its never going to get anything better than what nobby makes and that's a shame, but I'm not giving my stuff away. so yeah it fails there for sure and that's not my problem. if brendon allows sales from xpacks on RTB it would radically change this program I bet.

12. LilSKi

LilSKi Well-Known Member

Well that is why I have shown some interest in what you are doing here as you seem to be doing things a bit differently than the usual RTB user. I fully understand now that these things are placeholders and you are simply experimenting. I know you are still learning the 3D thing, hell we all are, but I am curious as to where you take this when you get outside RTB.

Again it is not you it is just when I see something that is potentially cool being built in RTB I cringe as it usually doesn't end well.

luchian likes this.
  13. Pixelchaser

thanks, and I understand you somewhat better now too. I know I'm not showing off good work, and I post here coz well I'm trying to support this site because I believe in Luchian. I'm showing off the good things rtb can do for you or me etc. I believe in it to a certain degree so that is what i am trying to demonstrate when I post here.

where will I take this in 3ds max. I need something to work on in 3ds max that to me is worth while to work on in order to finalise my learning in 3dmax. hope that makes sense. I am tailoring myself to track work explicitly and I need the grand project to do that because ive had it in my head for the last 7 years. prior to it going to 3dmax I'm trying to save myself time in 3ds max by using the tools in rtb and right now I'm just testing what I can actually do at its maximum potential. pseudo 3d tree models are so fricin simple and everything is so simplified for Assetto corsa. I figure I might aswell just use rtb`s ground laying function to save time in max trying various conform scripts etc. which ive done a lot of and I hate max environment sometimes more than RTB. blender is something I will consider when my 3dmax time is complete. I am primarily a 2d texture artist, that must learn all the 3d stuff before I have my canvas to work on so to speak. I know my skills in texturing but rarely have the time to push in that area until I have my full finalised scene before me to work on. so that's why I always leave texturing as such a basic level and always design shader first before starting any art because that's where I definitely go OCD with it. spending 20 hours on 1 simple diffuse etc. also my hdr photography methods need to be tuned into all these other methods of working too at a definitive level with repeatable method just like kunos textures are, derived from method regards necessary implementation in a repeatable form.

luchian likes this.
  14. Pixelchaser

today my 3d grass is working nice, exscuse the trees please, left them there to test shadows on 3d grass. grass is still and rtb asset though.....which leads me to something quite important about RTB and from our discussions earlier.

I think rtb content only looks bad because itself doesn't know the shader system properly for AC. and neither do 99% of the people using it.

[​IMG]

entertaining RTB nonsense error.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
    luchian likes this.
  15. luchian

luchian Administrator Staff Member

Goes to show how dramatically vegetation changes scenery. And also totally changes the scale perception.
    I see there were some passionate exchanges above, but seems to have had a good outcome :lol:. [insert squeezed lemon/orange joke here].

Keep it up !

Ricardo Rey and Pixelchaser like this.
  16. Pixelchaser

well thanks, I just demonstrating RTB aint all bad. polygons are invisible ,what goes on top is what counts for the outcome.

liking the effect of distant trees, but I will start with some tree walls for that. tommorow it goes to 3dmax. so this will be a proper project with its own thread soon. your gona love the vastly different driving experience this has, adding detail along the side of single track roads legitimised their flow and design, it begs to be driven at realistic speeds too. and when you do its sublime in its difference to anything ive experienced before in a sim.. it is actually is capable of defining a strange sense of road driving psychology as an intrinsic aspect but without the oncoming traffic. and certainly multiplayer will simulate that. its a shame there is no turn signals :( or this shit has serious potential.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
    luchian likes this.
  17. Pixelchaser

I now have 72 km of roads. :lol: testing just how far the shitty trees can go.. 4 million no problem so far :lol:. no I wont be doing that but its interesting. ive left the render stats showing. very high cpu in some areas. so that would destroy chances of more cars on track.

also got my decimal position wrong when adding some physics to my surfaces (which you can do directly in RTB). towards the end of the video.

luchian likes this.
  18. LilSKi

LilSKi Well-Known Member

You are using the term "tree" very loosely :lol:!

I'm honestly surprised you are not getting more flickering of the "trees" in the distance.

Oh and in case you forgot this is what trees look like ;)

Screenshot_ks_corvette_c7r_njmp_lightning_13-1-117-23-21-35.jpg

EDIT: In motion

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
    luchian and Pixelchaser like this.
  19. Pixelchaser

:lol:, yeah yeah :) I'm getting there. all that crap will be removed tomorrow. want to accommodate the floor under my trees with texture technique. so effectively need to design and paint forrest areas in. I have lots of processed tree textures, just not confident until I try them. have made Y shaped with horizontal shadow plane and made the 2 poly high.

20. LilSKi

LilSKi Well-Known Member

Just be sure to use the KSTREE naming scheme AND make sure your origin is at the bottom of the object. This creates the proper normals so it is dark at the bottom of the tree seen in my video.

Pixelchaser likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice