Polycounts ?

Discussion in 'Tracks' started by r@m, Jun 20, 2017.

1. r@m

r@m Active Member

EDIT:
    moved to WIP thread, seems daft clogging up the forum.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
    luchian likes this.
  2. luchian

luchian Administrator Staff Member

A few ideas to help managing the poly count, should it become an issue sometime in the future:

1/ use of the world detail. In AC, this is mainly used for 3d grass, but it can be used for other objects as well. For example, you could place every 5th lamppost on a different KSLAYER. So on Level 1, you only see 1/5th of the objects. HERE is how to set it up.

2/use of "trees" functionalities. It works the same, based on name grouping. And it does two things: optimize lighting and optimize draw calls. HERE is some info. I'll add further reply there of a study that @LilSKi did, on how to make them look best. This is especially useful in case you decide to go for Y/X type (..which I hope you don't :D).

3/use of layouts. This allows you basically to split a track in multiple kn5 files, and then just play with them via a simple ini file. Easy, efficient, clean. HERE is the info.

4/ FPS increase tips, HERE and HERE

5/use of LODs. Which basically means you can swap high-poly objects with low-poly versions, once they are far enough and difference is not visible anymore.

MLT and r@m like this.
  3. luchian

PS: and for the record, HERE is the info about budgets (and that was even before Nords came into the picture) :).

r@m likes this.
  4. LilSKi

LilSKi Well-Known Member

5. luchian

Haha, ninja'd :D.

LilSKi likes this.
  6. Ricardo Rey

Ricardo Rey Active Member

Silly me was thinking...what kind of frame rate am I going to have with all those cars in-game.:confused:

I didn't even notice the lamp posts...

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
    luchian likes this.
  7. r@m

r@m Active Member

Cheers for all this info guys, your saving me a ton of R&D time.

8. r@m

r@m Active Member

Hows, this look from a low poly point of view?

Place de la Concorde statue base - 466 faces

I think I get get the rest of the detail in with textures & normals.

upload_2017-7-6_16-57-25.png

upload_2017-7-6_17-0-25.png

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
    luchian, Pixelchaser and Ricardo Rey like this.
  9. Pixelchaser

Pixelchaser Well-Known Member

and the statue on top ? I bet that doubles it up. but I'm sure it`ll be fine.

10. r@m

r@m Active Member

No the statue is 2D plane with alpha...in theory mesh is possible, but in practice it would mean sculpting the statue and baking the detail down to a low poly mesh, it would simply take too long to do.
    There are around 12 different statues in the Concorde :ninja:

Alternatively something like 123D Catch would be a better approach, enough photo's for a 360 and let the software do all the hard work. :D

19 photos:

https://sketchfab.com/models/aacc332d1bbf46d6a3632c3648325ddb

90 phots:

https://sketchfab.com/models/2f5ffec814bb4fcf9c1f6a36e3cf35b5

I don't have the hardware needed but it would be a fun project to do.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
  11. luchian

I am a sucker for modelling, but I would say at this point, there is no point :D. Like you say, it's a lot of effort for not such a big impact.

They could be side projects, for later updates, because photogrammetry definitely works. Have a look HERE for some of the discussions and quick results (my statue is also from some park in France). Our colleague @Mr Whippy could have some advice when needed.

And back to your project, I will try to photograph some of the statues on a next ocassion, just in case :). Anyway, you're doing a great job - keep it up.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
  12. r@m

r@m Active Member

Looks cool, not much work involved to run that through zbrush and project the details onto a low poly.
    These are the standard of the photos I have of the statues, OK but all a bit skewed and bad lighting, ideal case for step ladders on an overcast day :)

upload_2017-7-6_20-3-47.png

luchian likes this.
  13. Mr Whippy

Mr Whippy Active Member

Since all these areas are somewhat flat, the poly structure can be rough.

Also the 'up' facing areas will never be seen, but will cast shadows, so they need to be there. But I'd not have the geometry be 'sealed' since you'll never get z-buffer fighting or any issues by having polygons over the top of others (especially ones offset by 30cm or so like they are in your image)

So you can save 6 triangles for each 'up' facing part of the steps on top of the statue.

And numerous areas around the bit can save some more triangles. Probably 20% saving.

It's WELL worth doing, because 20% here and there gets you your nicer statue on top for free.

I need to go get some photogrammetry done again. I really want to try do a full start to finish PBR, mesh, normal bake, textures etc on an asset and see what comes out.

Stuff like this statue is perfect for photogrammetry.

On my last pro track I had a statue (pits end of main straight on Buenos Aires FE track), and I just used a big photo 2d version which you mainly only really saw on the approach.
    So it was a cutout.
    But I created a nice mask and created a normal map from NDo2 and it looked pretty nice really. Only if you stopped driving and looked across did the illusion get broken, but for actual racing it worked and looked right.

Well worth not doing the statue at first and adding it in later once all the other (huge!) number of tasks are done for a city course!

Thanks

Dave

14. r@m

r@m Active Member

I'm getting the layout done and will optimise later, as it's my first track I'm not going to dwell on the technical side too much until the latter stages, I need to see the track grow to keep me motivated.

All my objects are instances that are linked to groups of point helpers, so to swap them out it's simply a case of select group, select object, click, done.

Huge? it's fecking ginormous :eek:

I'm having to adopt a large scene / architectural layout workflow, the separate kn5's is a real help when exporting, I'm working on the Champs de Elysees today, the road is a beast. :ninja:

15. Mr Whippy

Mr Whippy Active Member

Ooops I forgot to upload a tweaked pic of yours. Can't seem to get it to upload now haha.

Yeah street courses are a nightmare.

So is this going to be a race course, or open road course?

If race course, remember lots of these lamps/details will be hidden behind barriers, several fences, etc etc.

If not, then you're in trouble haha :D

But still, lots of things just disappear into the noise of road side objects so can be quite 'simple'

So I'd just rough it all out first (as you are) and then see what stands out as priority or not, and then re-detail as necessary... which is exactly how I managed my big tracks with instances etc too.

Nice project btw!

16. r@m

r@m Active Member

Cheers...open road within the constraints of the route of the film, the more I work the bigger it gets, one things for sure this track will push AC to it's limits however optimised it is, I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice