W.I.P. Lime Rock

Discussion in 'Tracks' started by Pixelchaser, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Pixelchaser

Pixelchaser Well-Known Member

finally doing some texturing \o/ cant wait to finnish this. just basic render, until I form the normal maps..

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: May 1, 2017
    luchian and Willy Wale like this.
  2. luchian

luchian Administrator Staff Member

Looking nice !
    And if I may, a sugestion: in iR one thing that I especially like, most of the time the grass areas are somewhat higher than the road itself. This gives some additional kick overall, imo. Like in your second photo (but less pronounced for the straight areas)

If you can, please keep this in the design :).

Keep it up !

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Pixelchaser likes this.
  3. Pixelchaser

i
    yes that's excactly the plan and a slightly dark edge for the grass too. not sure about affecting the physics though.,. but we will have 4 styles 1 with the straights having what appears to be higher grass and tidy edge, but many of the rumble kerbs are traversed and grass doesn't grow around them I presume they use sand to fill in these areas when they are attacked. so we need a flat transition for that. what im saying is we will have 4 variants of edges

TLDR:
    this is not the end result though, what I'm doing is making everything from my photography. but through the mask first . so everything you see is a diffuse version of what the multilayer mask would produce. I'm applying the detail textures. so this isn't really the the diffuse for multilayer , this is however the diffuse for the multimap. im making the track work with both shaders and the reason will become apparent later :)

Last edited: May 2, 2017
  4. Jebus

Jebus Member

I think you should make a tldr for that tldr. :D

Limerock looking good! Can't wait.

luchian likes this.
  5. Pixelchaser

little grass example. still a bit of colouring to correct on the lighter variant.
    [​IMG]

luchian and Jebus like this.
  6. Pixelchaser

a less variated section with joins to road sides. all multilayer frsenel nm, the road edge doesn't have normal map yet, when it gets it, that edge will bang !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 2, 2017
    luchian, Willy Wale and Jebus like this.
  7. Pixelchaser

great to be texturing, what im best at tbh. today we have a sandy edge (no shader)
    [​IMG]

luchian likes this.
  8. LilSKi

LilSKi Well-Known Member

Looking really nice. Would love to take a look at your masks and detail textures if you don't mind.

9. Pixelchaser

thanks ...well what I do is a make that image above, is mimic what the ac shader is doing in photoshop. simple blending.

add detail textures as patterns in PS, create your texture from block colour for your rgb, so 3 detail textures. my 3 layers are all white, just a shape. add pattern through layer style and build the same as what the shader is doing.

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  10. Pixelchaser

here is a portion from the mask, (no use alpha yet) I havnt tested the mask yet though, but each of these colour layers is what uses the pattern/detail textures to make the basis of the diffuse,. imo not using the diffuse extensively with multilayer is a missed opportunity, I notice you use a small grey diffuse for your multilayer,
    [​IMG]

11. LilSKi

LilSKi Well-Known Member

Is that 1024x4096 or 512x2048?

12. Pixelchaser

well I'm working at 512 x 4096 and I command my texture to run along about 10 metre intervals.

my total atlas for these edges will be 2048 x 4096, that's 4 variant edges.

LilSKi likes this.
  13. Pixelchaser

just to clarify also. I make a mask to make a diffuse. which is just a nice picture, an artist impression if you will of what I want the results of the mask to produce ingame. you then use the mask to make any diffuse for the game. the scaling of the detail textures is derived from the general scaling of my textures. but it never matches.

post 101 is the artist impression, then my post 106 is the in game outcome. so that's the differences. but I did swap grass textures in the process of that. not much difference ?! my workflow is utterly perfect for it.

14. Pixelchaser

heres a representation with what that mask does ingame. litteraly 3 seconds to make this from my photographic detail tiles.
    [​IMG]

luchian and Willy Wale like this.
  15. Pixelchaser

how is your modding going lilski ?

you should post here too.

16. LilSKi

LilSKi Well-Known Member

Things have been going well. I got my first NJMP Thunderbolt build together the other night to run some first AC laps on it. Watkins has a fully driveable floating layout waiting for some land. Will be resuming work on the Bridgehampton update soon to get that finished up before I get too deep into Watkins and NJMP.

As for a thread I'm not much into posting updates anymore. Ever since we lost the main AC forums I kind of lost interest in posting my every move. I also wait until 1.0 now instead of early releases. If I learn something new or feel certain info should be put out there I'll update my tutorial thread. Otherwise I only post in the "What are you working on thread" on RD from time to time.

Early NJMP build

17. Pixelchaser

yeah I agree about no early releases. anyway regards modding who out there is also doing work that is more about doing it properly by the standards set in the sim we add to. who concentrates on how kunos does it ? anybody?

18. LilSKi

LilSKi Well-Known Member

Very few. Only person I would put at the top of the list would be Fat-Alfie but he has been sidetracked with a car project recently. All the other good track mods like Donington, Paul Ricard, LuccaRing, VIR, etc. all seem to be one hit wonders. They seem to be stuck working on the same track and haven' started anything new. Darren (VIR) might do something new at some point but I haven't heard of anything.

Everything else seems to be half finished RTB tracks that kill frame rates.

Sometimes you get a nice surprise with things like Tonscana from fastfab but it doesn't happen very often.

luchian, Pixelchaser and Jebus like this.
  19. Pixelchaser

;) ohh yeah man ! :lol:

[​IMG]

and texturing to Armco barriers. (just a place holder) make that tomorrow i reckon. outer main grass to Armco is quite basic for now. got 2 more detail channels to merge in. using the method from vintage Silverstone with 2 similar texture at different scales to destroy any tiling ...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 5, 2017
    luchian likes this.
  20. LilSKi

LilSKi Well-Known Member

Not sure what you are using but I suggest 2D barriers to avoid the moire effect. I had 3D rails on NJMP and it ended up being too noticeable so I swapped them out for 2D. You can't even try and cheat with a NM as the moire effect will be triggered by that too.

You can do what kunos does and LOD the 3D/2D rails but you will then be able to watch the rails 'walk' as you drive down the track. I personally couldn't deal with the walking rail so I went full 2D.

: Lime Rock, Track
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice