W.I.P. Lime Rock

Discussion in 'Tracks' started by Pixelchaser, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Pixelchaser

Pixelchaser Well-Known Member

before i try does anyone know if putting a hole in a will mesh cause a track cut ?

2. LilSKi

LilSKi Well-Known Member

A hole in a wall mesh? If that is what you meant than no. Only a non valid racing surface can cause a track cut.

Given that you should use an invisible mesh for everything that is physical you can always cut up those surfaces as you see fit with no worry of screwing up the visual.

Mitja Bonca likes this.
  3. Pixelchaser

:lol: hole in a will mesh. what am I talking about. :lol:

a hole in the road mesh will cause a penalty is what I was trying to say. . so I take out a square and give it new surface name that's not legal. if I cross at any part over the hole it should cause a track cut ?

4. LilSKi

LilSKi Well-Known Member

Depends on the rules. I think AC by default allows two wheels out. Just because you hit an invalid surface with one tire does not mean a cut will be triggered.

Pixelchaser likes this.
  5. Pixelchaser

server settings have zero to 4 tires out, so I think that not too bad. hopefully a tyre stepping out is enough.

6. Pixelchaser

this is what I was trying to get working. forgot to update the main scenery carpark texture which is mis aligned with the cones and tyre walls unfortunately. a different kind of driving fun..... I like it personally. but not for lime rock. its too small :lol:. so ive went off on a weird tangent :lol:. back to good ole lime rock track only. :lol: but I'm going to design an area for this autocross on its own.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  7. Pixelchaser

@LilSKi the csv AI helper mod, have you tested it much, will it let track extents be controlled without the surfaces defined at present ?

8. LilSKi

LilSKi Well-Known Member

You have to drive to record it and it currently uses the car center as the record point. He is looking into having it record based off a tire on either side of the car. In summary yes you can use that app but in your case it may be easier to make it from 3Ds.

9. Pixelchaser

the carpark Is just 1 big mesh with a texture on it. it doesn't have a track cut into it. was wondering if I could simply record that line now with it. save the need to make a mesh to obtain any track extent. (for autocross stuff in big easy to make car parks)

so my understanding of it is the track extents used to obtainable via the surfaces title and the mesh geometry. but its actually a separate thing that can be made by mesh, CSV outline, or this new mod CSV AI line creator, or am I wrong there and it still need the geometry and surfaces.

I don't see the point of re creating anyway other than mesh geometry it if it isn't separate. and then if the surface is legal but the extent line doesn't cross it, what happens then.... ?

or am I still wrong about what this outline is. :lol: its just so the ai don't leave the track ?

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  10. LilSKi

LilSKi Well-Known Member

In the land of AI lines the new CSV method eliminates the need to have properly setup surfaces to get a clean and proper working AI line. However proper surface tags are still required for track cuts and penalties.

11. Pixelchaser

right ok, why I keep confusing them ive no idea, cheers.

12. LilSKi

LilSKi Well-Known Member

:p

Pixelchaser likes this.
  13. luchian

luchian Administrator Staff Member

:lol:

/end useless post

Pixelchaser likes this.
  14. garyjpaterson

garyjpaterson Member

Just catching up on the progress - that little autocross track looks amazing @Pixelchaser, whats the plans for that? Asking because it looks like the perfect track for my FSAE car, as its pretty much the type of tracks they use. Is it a separate project now, or is it still part of Lime Rock?

Regardless, stunning work :)

luchian and Pixelchaser like this.
  15. Pixelchaser

hi Gary and welcome here. I do want to take this to its own space for sure. its really quite cool and I think it could be popular, well as popular as drifting and generally messing around in cars. I see what you are making now. and yep that would fit perfectly. and we need some car people here man, so thanks for joining here on Luchians site.

I'm after some lidar data for a massive car park in America. thinking this
    Lawrence Joel Veterans Memorial Coliseum car park.

garyjpaterson likes this.
  16. Pixelchaser

btw is that the little nipper from LFS ?

17. garyjpaterson

garyjpaterson Member

This? Could be awesome, so much scope for all sorts of courses!

[​IMG]

At the risk for sounding like I'm trying to infuence what you do, I'll just leave this here...

https://www.fsaeonline.com/content/2017-Endurance-vPost.pdf

Its a scale (of sorts) drawing of the type of courses they use in FSAE, usually just made up with cones. Something similar in scale would be amazing, though I understand its not really practical to cater to just one car.

My FSAE car? No, its scratch made. Building for the real team, its their 2016 contender.

[​IMG]

Jebus and Pixelchaser like this.
  18. Pixelchaser

influence away.

this is fricken big track. must be an airfield ? which ill happily make... only issue our lovely ac engine has with this stuff, is cones, you cant have many of them moveable. (not tested with lod-ing)

19. Pixelchaser

regards LVJM it was just the southern section i was planning :lol:. but yeah the whole thing wouldn't be that bad tbh.

20. garyjpaterson

garyjpaterson Member

That track is at the Michigan International Speedway, I guess its all coned off on the backstraight or something, so plenty of space

The car I'm making is from New Zealand, so they compete in the Australasia FSAE, which takes place at Calder Park Raceway, which would be even better from my point of view - but I couldn't find and course details or anything. I could get in touch with the team, I'm they have more resources than are available online.

But really all the courses are designed to manage speeds etc, so I guess they're all quite similar in character.

Pixelchaser likes this.
: Lime Rock, Track
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice