1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SOLVED How to make the groove 3d?

Discussion in 'Tracks' started by Frank Alexandre, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Frank Alexandre

Frank Alexandre New Member

Untitled-1.png Hi guys, cant believe i was not using this forum before. Can anyone help me to make the racing groove using 3ds Max?
    I know it must be a new 3d a few centimeter above the track. I already did that. The problem is the shape of this new 3d is the same as the road. I need it to be the "fast line" as the original tracks. I dont know what to do? So far all i have is a spline over the track with the fastest line shape, but when i extrude it to make the groove it doesnt folow the track banking, so it is not usable. To get the fastest line spline i used this tool for RF. Thanks. http://www.mj-multimedia.net/2012/03/gmaterial-tool-for-3dsmax/

2. luchian

luchian Administrator ACM Racing Team ACM Club Driver

Hi there, welcome to the forums :).
    I personally use Blender, but workflow should be similar.

How did you obtain the original road ? Also using a spline ? If yes, why not copy the spline, adjust it to match a fast lane, and then extrude to obtain your groove. The advantage would be that the orientation of the spline would be identical (at least in theory).

Also, don't forget to check the "banking" option - can't remember the name exactly but it's there, I've also used it to generate my ramp for the parking garage.

3. Frank Alexandre

Frank Alexandre New Member

Thanks luchian. The road is a convertion from Rfactor so no spline for it. I will try to apply a outline on the spline and conform to the road using this script. Hope it works.

luchian likes this.
  4. luchian

luchian Administrator ACM Racing Team ACM Club Driver

Interesting little tool. Hope it works out ! :).
    If not, I still have some ideas, but they are not really automatic :D

: #track, #groove