How to go about texturing the terrain? stuck xD

Discussion in 'Tracks' started by LockeNessMotorsports, Mar 13, 2017.

1. LockeNessMotorsports

LockeNessMotorsports Active Member

Hey,

So we're getting there now however the google map grass and terrain that was imported from race track builder is really low quality in max and in game I want to give it a lift and make it look better and a higher quality but can't figure out how to go about doing it.

I've tried Photoshop on the map itself in Photoshop but it's hard to get it right and comes out really blurry within max and the game so that's a no no.

Another way, was to extrude the edges off the side of the track and texture the extruded edges but a similar issue so any ideas how to go about this?

The terrain: http://imgur.com/a/6Ehd3

2. Pixelchaser

Pixelchaser Well-Known Member

if you want better google imagery, you must grab higher rez imagery and fix place it over your rtb texture. after doubling or x4 its size.

Ive used lots of programs for this, but I use GMS just now. from http://www.codres.de/google-map-saver/gms-net-download

and if you want, send your rtb image and ill send back a higher rez version.

or here it is. highest rez imagery obtainable of the area from google. it is inherently old and rather small that's why rtb`s capture is so small. also this area is defined by the size of area you pull from RTB. so pull the smallest possible. 1k x 750m or whatever it is.

with a job such as this, its more about fantasy tracks, what rtb or anything else will give you is fantasy, loosely based on the real thing. so you need to decide how much are you going to get down low and change it all. and I see you are wanting to overlay the rtb terrain over something else to make it better. unfortunately the deal here is, there is no better terrain to lay it onto. you are actually stuck. but if you get down low to track level and design it then it will slowly manifest itself into a better reality.

when we make tracks, our brains get stuck at various levels. at this stage, your looking from above always. you need to break free from that, and get down to track level. and look from 1 point to the next to the next to the next. then you will understand track design more regards whats right and wrong. please trust me on this. forcing your brain to look at things in multiple ways is essential and especially for 3d work.

edit. there is one thing you could try, but its a long process. and that is to try infraworks which will grab a DTM terrain, which is more accurate but similar to rtb terrain.

hint. registering for autodesk as a educational account and a few white lies on your profile provides you a 3 year full licence for any and all autodesk products.

Image Removed. see next post.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
    ALB123 likes this.
  3. Pixelchaser

icant link the file as an image without IMGUR resizing it, so see file at bottom.

its the highest I can obtain for pats acres. cropping it down to 4096 x4096 over that small area works out to be super high resolution. :) 20 pixels per metre approximately.

take it into photoshop. scale your rtb image up by a factor of 2 or 4, lay this above as new layer, make it 50% opaque, and use transform handles on selection tool and align it up pixel perfect, then remove the opacity and you will have higher res image. the idea is to scale the rtb image up so that this image fits nicely. but you need to maintain factor of 2 textures sizes. 2,4,8,16,32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024, 2048, 4096, 8192. (you don't have to but direct x prefers it)

any trouble and ill do it for you if you wish. just send me your background jpeg from rtb.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/xx1dn158p7rsxp2/34443334.rar

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
    luchian likes this.
  4. LockeNessMotorsports

Hey Pixel I never went back and seen this can't download could you send another link if possible :)

5. Pixelchaser

send me your image you`re working with.

6. luchian

luchian Administrator Staff Member

7. LockeNessMotorsports

8. luchian

luchian Administrator Staff Member

Nope, just a high-res image file.

9. LockeNessMotorsports

10. Pixelchaser

here you go. now ive up scaled this to 8192 x 8192 so I can fit the higher rez image in. this leaves the outer area unaffected on your image but around the track is. but this is really bad efficiency wise. so you can downscale it to 4096 and still have a little better quality.

the whole area this image covers though is a complete waste. of the 4096 texture only 1433 x 1433 is needed for the track and surroundings. id be looking at other ways around that if you can, never the less here is that image.
    (removed)

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
    luchian likes this.
  11. Pixelchaser

so lets see, you have the file I presume. most people would thank folks for their work btw. (unless they are not wanting any further help of course ;) )

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
  12. LockeNessMotorsports

I got it pixel cheers much better :) I can see the road markings etc easier only just logged in.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice