SOLVED Help with installing mods - How ?

Discussion in 'General' started by fierofreak179, Jan 9, 2015.

1. fierofreak179

fierofreak179 New Member

So I have downloaded one of the tracks from this forum, and am currently trying to get it in the game. I am very new to PC gaming (2 weeks in, so be gentle). Is there an easy and laid-out walkthrough somewhere to help?

Pixelchaser likes this.
  2. Pixelchaser

Pixelchaser Well-Known Member

ok I shall try assist.

your Assetto corsa game is held within a folder structure within your windows pc system. this game due to being a Steam game exists normally within the main steam folder located here.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\assettocorsa <- this folder is the main Assetto corsa folder.

so. in this folder there are more folders and explicitly the "content" folder. the addon content you grab goes in here. Car mods go in the Cars folder. and tracks go into the Tracks folder.

each track has a common set of folder and files that it includes. so have a look and familiarise yourself with what a track looks like. And then you get your addon and you intelligently put it in just like the other tracks in the game. the folder structure and its contents is extremely important. don't move anything about etc etc.

sometimes people package their add on creations differently. However there is always a track folder usually that folder is simply titled with the name of the track. its this that goes into your Tracks folder based at the above folder or explorer address.

so the final windows explorer address for where to put a track addon is usually here.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\assettocorsa\content\tracks

car mods go here
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\assettocorsa\content\cars

Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
    fierofreak179 and luchian like this.
  3. luchian

luchian Administrator Staff Member

Hello @fierofreak179 . Welcome to the forums and welcome to PC gaming. It might not be as simple as 1-2-3, but it's worthing. You're gonna love it :).

Back to your question:
    Assetto Corsa uses Steam as a distribution platform. Typically, the installation folder would be something like : C:\Program Files\STEAM\steamapps\common\assettocorsa

In order to install the mods you simply need to unpack the files you are downloading, and copy the content in the appropriate folder. For unpacking I can recommend you to use 7-zip, as this knows to treat all the major file types.

If you are installing cars, you should be copying them to \STEAM\steamapps\common\assettocorsa\content\cars. This is typically true when the folder you have just unpacked, is named as the car

You should always check the files once unpacked; some modders prefer to release the package with a more complete path, starting from folder "content". In this case, you must of course copy the package to the folder \STEAM\steamapps\common\assettocorsa.

If you are installing tracks, unpack and then copy the contents to \STEAM\steamapps\common\assettocorsa\content\tracks

Most of the mods have also a readme file included with the basic instruction for installation.

EDIT: ha ha, ninja'd by frickin' pixel dude :D

fierofreak179 and Pixelchaser like this.
  4. Pixelchaser

:lol: sorry.

5. luchian

luchian Administrator Staff Member

No need, it's nice to see people jumping to help out :rolleyes:

6. fierofreak179

fierofreak179 New Member

First off, thanks so much for all of this advice. When I get home from work, I'll see if I can follow these instructions. After 20+ years of console gaming, the switch to PC was beginning to feel a bit overwhelming. But its great to see, at least here, that nice gamers are still around

luchian likes this.
  7. Pixelchaser

my first pc seen me clear out my windows folder, what`s all that shit i don't understand in there I ask myself. Ok lets delete it. I thought it just worked! but no, on my first day I had to reformat and install windows.

be careful. and you tube and google are your friends there.

luchian likes this.
  8. fierofreak179

fierofreak179 New Member

SUCCESS!

Pixelchaser and luchian like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice