Fiorano

Discussion in 'Tracks' started by Mr.White, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Mr.White

Mr.White New Member

Hi guys, first of all thank you for this forum that gives me many useful informations and solved many problems that i'm finding creating track (special thanks to luchian, pixelchaser, lilski and the others modder guru :ROFLMAO:).

Coming to the thread subject, i'm almost new in assetto corsa mod scenary and i'm playing this game from the first alpha (i got +2000h of game - ingame name "eXo"). About blender modelling i had some little experience and so i'm (trying to) modelling the Fiorano track from scratch.

Here's some old and recent screen from blender:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

(Much more has been done yet but the development is not so quickly since i'm always busy -with wife, job, social life ect. my days are always too short :mad::rolleyes:-. So it's little bit early to call this project "WIP" :()

Anyway my project is still active hoping that Fiorano will not came as official content by kunos since it will fu*k up all my job. :p

So this thread is mainly for asking some info (that i will ask while creating the track). This are some info i would like to have at this stage of creation:
    - I'm using 2k texture and only one material for each side object of the track in order to have more resources for track object and physical mesh (and the side objects are all almost low poly). Is this a good way or should i use almost the same quality for all object? Should i use 4k texture for all the objects instead of mixing 4k and 2k textures?
    - Wich is the way to create and animate a flag? (Static model in blender and specific name for animated object (like pobject) or animated model in blender and import in sdk?
    - Where i can find a good quality satellite image? The standard image from google maps has an horrible resolution.
    - I have to create this logo:
    [​IMG]
    Which is the best way? 3d model with blender (much resources) or alpha texture? And if so can you provide an example of texture like this with trsaparent alpha?

About my project all the building inside and outside the track have been created yet, the layout of the road with skidpad too and also the landscape with trees and barrier (maded via RTB - Thank also to the amazing RTB).
    The final project layout will be probably the official f1 test layout with available skidpad. Hotlap mode and race mode with two car pitting in the Shell area (irl pitbox area).

(Obviously any critic, advice and help is welcome :lol:)

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
    luchian likes this.
  2. luchian

luchian Administrator Staff Member

First of all, it's awesome to hear you find inspiration in all the threads in the forums. It's exactly what it tries to achieve :). Very glad to hear new people giving modding a try. It's both simpler and harder than it used to be back in the days. Simpler because the available data and information is so much more these days. But harder because you can't get away with just a few polys anymore :D.

Which brings me (somewhat) to your first question:

I'd say just go as high as you can with the modelling (of course real modelling, not mesh smoothing while getting no additional detail). AC engine can handle something like 3-4 millions polys per track. If you take out the 3d grass, you'd still end-up with 1-1.5 mil for other 3d assets. So go crazy.
    IF performance becomes a problem, there are solutions:
    - use of LODs
    - use of layouts to break things in multiple fbx/kn5

About textures and materials, there is probably some info around, but in any case, iirc, AC takes advantage of texture atlases. You should be fine with 4k (I remember Simone daying than even 8k is supported but advised against it as it could have performance hit).

There is a special shadel for flags. Use that.

Maybe @Pixelchaser has some suggestion here :)

IMO, 3d model always looks better - and gives some "substance & consistency" to the track. But if you absolutely wish to go the texture way, just do the text in Gimp/Photoshop (text, on transparent background) and save as DDS DXt5 with alpha.

Well, there isn't much to see for now :D. But the assets look very good already.

Keep it up !

Mr.White likes this.
  3. Mr.White

Mr.White New Member

3-4 mln?

I thought that over 1 mln was too much for performance. o_O
    This completely change my approach. And this automatically gives me the answer for the question about that logo: you're right... better result is in 3d model so i'll go for that solution :nerd:

This means that i have to split the flag in two different object: the pole with its own shader and the fabric part that will be moved by another shader?

4. luchian

luchian Administrator Staff Member

Exactly.

Mr.White likes this.
  5. Mr.White

Mr.White New Member

Ok it's seems pretty easy.

In the meantime thank you so much Luchian for clarifying me these doubts :)

6. Pixelchaser

Pixelchaser Well-Known Member

luchian and Mr.White like this.
  7. Mr.White

Mr.White New Member

Yes! That's what i was searching for.

I spent many times on GIS to find a good resolution map but the resolution was always the same of google maps (except for hydrogeological maps that have good resolution o_O ).

Thank you so much Pixelchaser and happy easter mate :)

(during my research of quality map i found a lidar archive for Emila Romagna that is the italian district area that goes approximately from Piacenza at North to Cesena at south (including modena, bologna etc). Unfortunately there's no lidar for Fiorano btw could be useful for someone that want to make circuit or rally stage of that area (maybe could be my future project :rolleyes:).

Here's the link if someone need it
    http://www.pcn.minambiente.it/mattm/

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
    Pixelchaser and luchian like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice