1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dimension of UVW template?

Discussion in 'General' started by Angelo D'Aloia, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Angelo D'Aloia

Angelo D'Aloia New Member

Hi guys, I'm trying to add textures to a Formula Student car mod I started creating few days ago.
    Since we are going to use it for drivers training on our simulator, I'm not looking for huge aesthetics details but, on the other side, I want something decent.
    The problem is this: using a 2048x20148 template the logo on my texture is kinda squared while using a 1024x1024 template this is not happening but the logo is blurred cause of the lower resolution.

Here's the texture with 1024x1024 template...
    Screenshot (71).png
    ...and here's with the 2048x2048 template.
    Screenshot (70).png

can someone explain the reason why is this happening?

2. luchian

luchian Administrator ACM Racing Team ACM Club Driver

How are you working your texture ?

For example, you can work on 4096 in PS, and only when it's finished and ready for export, you can scale it down to 2048.

Other option would be (if mapping allows it) to scale the UV in the area, so you get more texture space for this logo.

And other option would be to actually model it separately (like an additional mesh), but that would mean another texture and a pain in case you wish to have skins later on.

..just some ideas^^.

3. Angelo D'Aloia

Angelo D'Aloia New Member

I'm editing templates both with GIMP and PS cause for some tasks I'm more familiar with GIMP.
    Furthermore, as I'm not going for liveries and being the mesh of the model a complete mess (I imported the model from a mechanical CAD), I'm unwrapping each individual part of the body.

I will try your tips but actually what I can't figure out is how to choose the dimension for my templates.
    1024x1024 was the default in 3ds max so I started with it but then cause of poor results I tried with 2048 and the result was even poorer.