W.I.P. Ascari Race Resort - Ronda, Spain.

Discussion in 'Tracks' started by liquido, Apr 16, 2015.

1. luchian

luchian Administrator Staff Member

Damn holiday. Now I want to join the fun also.. :D. Great stuff, I'll lick the screen at any pics/videos you'd share. I'll be back on 5th.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

2. liquido

liquido Active Member

Enjoy your holidays luchian, We will water the plants in your absence, maybe some grass and vegetation start to grow in Ascari at your back.

luchian likes this.
  3. Pixelchaser

Pixelchaser Well-Known Member

yep enjoy. hopefully some visual stuff to try when you get back too.

re the road. I think its really good. I think we just add character to it. so for the sections where the car gets quite fast we might make it more bumpy, but nothing that will cause a car to have problems.

Jebus and luchian like this.
  4. Jebus

Jebus Member

I wouldn't mind one problem place somewhere in the fast section. Nothing serious but something you need to remember, not to avoid but something to consider to be ready for. Of course if there simply isn't any in the real track then maybe not or just something really subtle.

Also at straights there could be spots where track surface dips maybe 1-2 inch for some meters and then raises back, so it doesn't feel exactly like sharp bump but causes some reaction in the wheel. When ground changes temperature it tends to raise and fall. It's quite extreme here in the north because the ground frozes solid every year but I'm pretty sure it happens to some degree in Spain too.
    Even completely level road when new will get uneven in time due usage and the climate/weather.

liquido, Pixelchaser and luchian like this.
  5. Pixelchaser

yes I agree. Our layer has to match the visual layer too. so any drastic adjustments will need to wait regards major changes. this is going to be about feeling primarily. I have seen many warped urban roads, the weights travelling on them are significantly higher though and more ranged . so I personally feel happy with the road visually. its just the feelings.

but there are a lot of concepts to consider here. the racing line being an example. should the road feel rougher when off the line, because we can simulate that to a degree. that would be a fantastic dynamic to have emphasised, but is it realistic ?

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
    Jebus likes this.
  6. Pixelchaser

tree time today. plucking from photographs that just happen to contain trees in them is very hard to do. so im quite happy with this example I produced. maybe it will work, maybe it wont. :)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
    Jebus and liquido like this.
  7. luchian

Looking good. Maybe add some more leaves otherwise you risk the transparency issues :).

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

8. Pixelchaser

indeed, we shall see.

playing around with lighting again.

[​IMG]

9. DaNy

DaNy New Member

tengo buenas noticias!! a mediados de agosto viene a mi casa el piloto oficial de Ascari a testear el circuito, es el piloto que mas vueltas a dado y tiene el récord de Ascari, va a ser de gran ayuda.

Traslate google
    I have good news!! mid-August to come to my house the official pilot to Ascari, test the Ascari circuit, is the pilot who gave more laps and holds the record for Ascari, it will be of great help

Jebus, liquido, luchian and 1 other person like this.
  10. luchian

awesome news @DaNy ! Looking forward to hear opinions !

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

11. liquido

liquido Active Member

THANKS!!!! DaNy ;););)

12. Pixelchaser

today I solve a "how to puzzle" scene from physics mesh result. happy ali !
    [​IMG]

liquido likes this.
  13. Jebus

Jebus Member

I have no clue what that means but great job! :D

luchian likes this.
  14. Pixelchaser

well when we start we have uniform square polygon layout going round the curves all very nice etc. lets call it a grid mesh. we take our visual road layer and apply a multi resolution optimiser which gives us more and more polygons. previously fernando added a few bumps in the grid polygon layout and manually added extra polygons to bumpy areas. then we take our polygon layout and we optimise that back down to a more convenient amount of polygons, during this process some get merged if they are close to another which distorts the nice clean grid style layout we had before. (the visual road layer that uses textures) so that's optimising the mesh. then we do that once again with a different type of setting in that modifier and finally triangulate it ,that's making any 4 sided polygons into 3 sided, triangles. and we end up with this effect that gives feeling to the physics. the bumps that were created initially are still there but they are smooth and not abrupt which is what we would like to have in the sim.

Jebus and luchian like this.
  15. Pixelchaser

been driving our surface update today and well I cant tell the difference. its still too smooth imo. but I can detect a nicer driving feel regards grip in certain situations. just got to work out those bumps more.

there are two textures so awkwardly "NOT DONE" yet, so I slap myself silly with a wet fish and go get them done today :)

16. Pixelchaser

boom !
    [​IMG]

editor view :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
    luchian and liquido like this.
  17. Jebus

Jebus Member

It seems to be highly car dependant.

But imo before you make any drastic changes maybe it would be good idea to wait what Dany's friend thinks about overall bumpiness. After all realism should be number one priority, of course some artistic liberties can be taken where appropriate.
    Have you made back to back testing with Ascari and Vallelunga? To me Vallelunga is much smoother than current Ascari, point being that some tracks just are smooth for real and there's not much happening in the wheel.
    I believe one point of this high res phys mesh thingy is that bumps, if there are any, aren't low res sharp polygons because AC's physics is so sophisticated (sorry, probably some of those fancy words I used are wrong but I hope you know what I mean). So tracks doesn't necessarily need to be bumpy, but if they are all bumps will be detailed as they should.

liquido likes this.
  18. Pixelchaser

19. Pixelchaser

apparently this is what our physics mesh should look like. hmmm.

commented recently from testing was a lack of overall grip and im confident lower poly stuff equates to less grip. what you guys think ? should we go super high poly for it like this ?

or maybe this is before further refining for game ?

[​IMG]

liquido likes this.
  20. Jebus

Jebus Member

Have you tried Ascari after 1.2? I've been so busy with Zandvoort that I forgot to test Ascari if there's any change in feel. Gonna do that asap, hopefully tomorrow.

Imo you should go as high poly as possible. After all it's one of the selling points of the whole game, so it makes sense. Unless it's gigantic amount of work, then I think you need to consider if it's worth it. That pic is from some Kunos track right? I remember seeing it at their forum.
    I must say that I can't remember any drastic difference in grip compared to any other track I have. I always start session in green track condition. Tho I mostly drive race cars so possible grip issues might be harder to notice.

: ascari, tracks
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice