W.I.P. Ascari Race Resort - Ronda, Spain.

Discussion in 'Tracks' started by liquido, Apr 16, 2015.

1. Jebus

Jebus Member

Heh, my thoughts exactly! Though I'm lost every time someone talks about modding other than just skins. :D

But interesting stuff nonetheless.

liquido likes this.
  2. Pixelchaser

Pixelchaser Well-Known Member

our diffuse, diff-alpha, and mask layer example. road sits in the middle of that mess, and the alpha black knocks out the light at the immediate grass strip so I can have zero light for 3dgrass. to create this in photoshop I take the satellite imagery and I use an indexing colour methods. I reduce all the detail down to very few colours. lets say 40 to 50 colours, and reduce more and more till my subject is basically pixels and only pixels with zero antialiasing. and through this I can can control every pixel in some formand re introduce my own aliasing per pixel basis, , took about 20 hours over two days to finalise it to work as intended. its a great way to make a mask from a sat image and have it directly tied with the sat image itself. that being the point why I do it this way.
    whoops, location on mask is different turn, but you get the idea and there is still 2 more channels to be used for further variances, when I get to it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
    luchian likes this.
  3. Pixelchaser

testing this camera earlier and I made this processed hdr image today from 3 auto bracketed exposure images... what yas think ? ive never had a camera that can do this. so I'm a little kid right now thinking about texture stuff to capture.

[​IMG]

liquido likes this.
  4. luchian

luchian Administrator Staff Member

Hmm.. I think it would be a good idea to start a separate thread about texture shooting. Discussions might be too long (and interesting) and would hijack the Ascari :).

Here are a few thoughts:
    1/ NEVER shoot textures in complete sunlight. It will give you "baked in" shadows and coloring that would make the texture almost unusable.
    What you are looking for is an as much as possible neutral texture so that the lighting can be handeled by game's engine.
    Best days are cloudy days (natural softbox)

2/ HDR, is it really necessarry ? I don't use it. This is a technique used for getting max detail both in dark and light area. But huge contrast is something you don't want normally in a texture.

3/ experiment, experiment, experiment :). It's great gear you have, collect as many photos as possible. You'll worry later about processing.

Happy shooting :)

PS: I can separate thread later, if you agree

..sent from my phone.

5. Pixelchaser

well I must respond with my first seamless texture wip, I know all about neutrality btw but this is now perfectly setup for future use, baked normal map and alpha created from the huge dark on the diffuse. so much of it isn't for the actual diffuse. that's used elsewhere man.

will start thread when ive more. playing with iso levels in the raw is key, this decking had sunlight, shadows in recesses etc. but it doesn't anymore :lol:.
    [​IMG]

liquido and luchian like this.
  6. luchian

Looks great ! :D

..sent from my phone.

7. Pixelchaser

ta, I think its essential to try hdr processing because then we really are making it for game regards all the other facets of shader technology. nothing worse than something nice pictured wrong, and this way we can get tha neutrality , well I'm convinced myself :lol:. all of kunos textures look.... to me like they are hdr processed from photography..

edit. editor view :) well happy with that on KS_PerpixelNMif I bumped this upto multimap nm id be reflecting the sky off it quite nicely and or make it like its been rained on and with collected water in the grooves if necessary :lol:
    [​IMG]

you mention softbox, I do softbox photography too :) , I have 3 softbox arenas ive made myself. heres a nice crab waving at you.

[​IMG]

luchian likes this.
  8. luchian

Ha ha, cheers mate, the editor view looks excellent !

But don't get me wrong, I did not want to sound patronizing. You asked "what ya think", so I did :D (looking at that vegetation shot - which I still think it's difficult to use). BUT, the wood in the editor looks great, so don't mind my old school opinions. Keep doing whatever works for you - I love being proved wrong with pictures :rolleyes:.

9. Pixelchaser

the vegy shot , hahahaha... ok that wasn't about making textures to be honest, just showing the power of HDR at getting what you want.

10. Pixelchaser

created our new detail texture from a road outside the back of a super market today :lol:. it has similar aesthetic but at half the scale, think ive baked the alpha a little bright too. but its not too shabby for a first test.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bk81, jonnyboy, Fat-Alfie and 2 others like this.
  11. Pixelchaser

been softening the overall look this past week. looking more washed out, less satellite map detail. tomorrow I start the asphalt/grass edge.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. luchian

Going in the right direction I think.
    I would still like more of @LilSKi look for the asphalt. :rolleyes:

bk81 likes this.
  13. Pixelchaser

well you have not seen the track in motion with these shaders. basically what you ask for is what we have. but ill call it "kunos" style. because that's what I'm replicating. i love lilski work too, shaders and content before my art behind any of it.

so ill stop posting until we have some actual art in there.

14. luchian

C'mon Ali, don't take it bad :). I'm just giving my honest feedback, and only based on what I see (I can't know how it is when driving) :). Also, I am well aware of the huge working hours put into this project, so of course I am appreciative of it all.
    I actually like coming in here and reading or seeing what is going on with the project. Hope you'll reconsider your decision :nerd:.

Also, this asphalt thing, might be just a question of preference in the end. I, personally, like more that look when the asphalt does not glow like an uniform surface, but has only specks of shiny stuff. I have never did it myself, that's why I was suggesting Lilski's method. But I remember for example, that Miseluk had the same awesome (to my taste) look for the asphalt.

Anyway, just go with whatever you feel it's right (you're the texturing artist) and when released, you'll take advantage of the feedback from the masses :). Cheers

15. Pixelchaser

well until we have an update that is considerable. no more pics. not much is getting done on both our sides. and it is silly to be posting images that to me look good as a base. when its all going to eventually look better, coz that's whaat should be getting shown. I just want it done and then non stop ill finalise it all at once art, shaders and content.

luchian likes this.
  16. rookie1

rookie1 New Member

Is there any update on the progress of this track?
    Would love to test it and use it for basic practice (going to Ascari for real in March).

17. liquido

liquido Active Member

We are working slowly but we are working on it almost every day. I have experienced lot of problems in personal plane and recently I get a little dog that take much time from me. I am finishing the UV for the terrain and updating objects like the quad they have to assist crashed cars.. the ambulance and more details... the layout is complete but we want to add grass before relase something and we need to do more test on the physic layer... but I can't tell you when you will be able to donwload. Sorry.

bk81, Jebus, Pixelchaser and 2 others like this.
  18. Pixelchaser

@liquido ! we may have some developments in the grass area. need to swap all this grass over to our actual project, swap the place holder texture and conform to surface and reposition, the inner darker grass strip is separate and the rest is for the scrubland sandy coloured grass. trees ill try this way tommorw. but no reason why this cant work. (fingers crossed)

[​IMG]

liquido, Jebus and luchian like this.
  19. Pixelchaser

ok so 3ds max (my knowledge) wont cut this job. I can conform to the surface all the vertices which means every grass shape is then flat.

I wonder if anyone knows any blender functions Liquido could work with that will simply move each grass section to the surface below ?

20. luchian

liquido and Pixelchaser like this.
: ascari, tracks
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice