W.I.P. Ascari Race Resort - Ronda, Spain.

Discussion in 'Tracks' started by liquido, Apr 16, 2015.

1. Pixelchaser

Pixelchaser Well-Known Member

no shiny then ! booo !

liquido likes this.
  2. Jebus

Jebus Member

Gimme, gimme, gimme...!

liquido likes this.
  3. luchian

luchian Administrator Staff Member

With all the awesome information that surfaced lately from guys like Lilski & Dan & Nighteye & Noob & co, and with all the work you put into this, there is potential to have an awesome track, with a very specific spanish flavour.
    I'm rooting for you guys, keep it up :) !!
    Can't wait !

..sent from my phone.

liquido, Pixelchaser and Jebus like this.
  4. Pixelchaser

just borrowed a canon 7d for a couple of weeks. should be able to capture some good stuff for future texture work.

liquido and luchian like this.
  5. luchian

Speaking of textures:
    Let me know what type of textures you need, maybe I can help. I've been shooting for the last couple of years, I have a couple of thousands raw files by now. They would need some processing, but some can give great results.

..sent from my phone.

Pixelchaser and liquido like this.
  6. liquido

liquido Active Member

I can't open the Ks editor anymore.... I try everythig, glad that Pixelchaser is the one who works with the editor, but I like to confirm that everythig is ok before send the new build.

I have a new physic layer to be tested... :whistle:

Now I'm working on tree models, also tree walls.... and I have something that shine, an extinguiser ready to be textured properly.

luchian and Pixelchaser like this.
  7. Pixelchaser

show me what you have,i love processing images. you got RAW btw coz I want to get into properly re balancing... tbh id love to just spend time making a texture database suitable for AC materials. I already have one, but compared to this camera and its ability I'm assuming its just become worthless :lol:.

ive set up this beast of a camera to generate images suitable for hdr texturing. ohh and for some timelapse astro-photgraphy :lol:

going to start battle with Ascari this afternoon. it is a battle btw coz there so many kn5 files now :lol:.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
    luchian likes this.
  8. Pixelchaser

little bit of testing and chatting.

liquido and Fat-Alfie like this.
  9. LilSKi

LilSKi Well-Known Member

The alpha channel of the road diffuse texture needs more variation. Road shine is too "even" or "flat".

If you need me to test anything let me know. But you must be thick skinned as I don't sugar coat anything. I simply tell it as I see it.

liquido and Pixelchaser like this.
  10. luchian

I do agree with ^this^ and I actually think it's one of the key elements to give a track proper love.

I have some road closeup raw photos I can share (just need a bit of time pls).

Keep it up !

..sent from my phone.

Pixelchaser likes this.
  11. Pixelchaser

yeah I agree with the effect but actually I doubled the scale of the detail texture for in this last build which makes it seem flatter from the alpha, anyway I deal with it in passes guys, and as i explain last night to liquido. so base textures then shaders, then we get all content running. then my proper artwork and shader tweaks will come. all is good. but thanks. I think ive cut myself off from a lot of feedback, but it is welcomed and well I know ill get it good from you guys.

the track will have a few texture techniques of mine which not everyone will agree with though. for example the road grass sides are overall much lower resolution than anything else you've seen on a track side, but at the same time you cant argue with the sheer variance I'm producing. so yeah some stuff will have trade off because of the texhnique and a primary interest of mine is not building like kunos does, because they havnt made a good track with wide open scenery, its always interrupted in their tracks.aand their mmethod of translating between multilayer and multimap at the side means they don't use fresenl light on the multilayer scenery. and bringing the wide open detail upto the track side is my priority and as smooth an transition less as possible. also because I allow the Fresnel based light to bounce off every square inch of the scenery, even around the grass patches at the sides!!! . a new technique is needed and at present we opted to remove the immediate track side plane because we love the external scenery so much. usually a blend of some sort is required and well a guard rail really helps there too :lol:.. but we don't have them . This is wide open scenery and unlike anything from kunos so far, so whilst it might seem a compromise, I don't think it is. I do often ask what would kunos do. but until they do it, ill never know. and this is a genuinely proper method for dealing with this intrinsic scenery problem aspect. the whole project is built around it as a difference in track technique and different texture technique. just my difference given the scenery differences. another difference is using google satellite data directly. and I think ive mastered that and the necessary mask technique which again hasn't been used to extensively by kunos for anything close to the track. but we have it everywhere and working, completely repainted though. 1 texture and 1 mask and 1 normal map. covering data from 2 inches away to 2 kilometres away. ! the moss simple effective workflow possible and to a great standard.

all my extended shaders will be built from pixel art techniques too btw. ive done this before with flightsims to good effect, it takes a long time and shouldn't be done till final stages imo. it requires the shaders set first. most of my ideas for track building do come in the form of taking things a bit further and in this case I'm drawing on flightsim scenery worflows that can work in AC to bring bigger scenery about, so i hope you guys can see where im coming from with all this through my explanation of this track being very different in terms of technique on multiple levels.

from the track side to 10 kilometres away is my goal for seamless un-interrupted terrain flow without required blends is . it maybe a belief, but ill get there eventually, the next project should see that really happen

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
  12. LilSKi

LilSKi Well-Known Member

Both of my tracks as well as VIR use fresnel on the whole terrain so it isn't something new. I even use a normal map on RIR and still have the road edges match. I used multiple 4k masks on Bridge as well as RIR. I don't use a diffuse on Bridge or RIR. Everything is done with the mask. The diffuse is just a simple 64x64 grey texture with a grey alpha channel.

13. Pixelchaser

my diffuse is a heavily processed (colours) satellite image. it keeps detail at distances and still blends well. I know the ac`s variants are all white with a dash of tonal change for grasses.. I'm balancing the range of colour half in the diffuse and the other half in the detail textures and our alpha is tailored with the detail from the diffuse too. I think its a superb effect. it also allows better day to dusk effect over every square inch with aa more broad ranged between ambient and diffuse flavours. (but I know the problems it introduces with vertical grass, so thats likely to change regards that) Also nothing is repeated in our track beyond the inherent repetition with the detail textures, which is an achievement but merely intrinsic to our simple approach. and no where near finished.

14. Pixelchaser

its actually the rubber, groove and independent corner rubber meshes (not setup properly yet to be dynamic) and their specular settings and alpha over ruling the Fresnel spec from the road.

[​IMG]

15. liquido

liquido Active Member

Wow guys my head is going to explode trying to understand what you said about materials.... please don't try to explain, ignorance is happiess.

Joking apart, I am delighted to read LilSKi's tips even when I dosen't undertand a word. :confused:

16. LilSKi

LilSKi Well-Known Member

No that is not what i was talking about. The alpha channel of the road diffuse needs more contrast.

Here is an example. This is more or less how it looks to me in the video.
    road1.JPG
    And this with a high contrast alpha channel on the road diffuse. No other change was made here.

road2.JPG

assettocorsamods likes this.
  17. Pixelchaser

ok , more patchwork independant from the diffuse, I get that. my alpha is also a variation on the diffuse at present.

18. LilSKi

LilSKi Well-Known Member

Well there isn't more patch work technically. It is a copy of the diffuse witht he levels adjusted to make it contrast more.

Here is a sample of the diffuse next to it's alpha. you can see its the same texture just with different levels. Obviously this is for a pretty beat up road surface but you get the idea.

rdtxt.JPG

19. Pixelchaser

yep. I have this more pronounced now, but still there is a haze of flatness. ill revert to a Barcelona road style build and start from there again.

20. Pixelchaser

mucho better bar the NM scaling. will take it from here. Liquido is working on trees, so I think that will be next update.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
    Jebus and Fat-Alfie like this.
: ascari, tracks
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice