W.I.P. Ascari Race Resort - Ronda, Spain.

Discussion in 'Tracks' started by liquido, Apr 16, 2015.

1. luchian

luchian Administrator Staff Member

@Pixelchaser : polycount of physics mesh has no influence on the grip. It might be a tedious process but a test can be made on a straight plane: with only few verts and another with crazy amount of verts. Then with same car and same conditions test acceleration and brake distance. I'm 99.99% sure there would be no diferences.
    I would say however that a detailed (in micro bumps) track might convey better the sense of grip than a perfectly flat one because it would bring somr more life into the wheel.
    Regarding resolution no need to go overboard. Your pic is from an angle that makes it seem very dense but it not in reality. I'll be home in a couple of days and I'll post some samples with some sort of reference to real track dimensions.

Pixelchaser and Jebus like this.
  2. Pixelchaser

Pixelchaser Well-Known Member

cheers Luchian.

last night our second track project came into life :) I just must post a picture. Liquido you a re a legend :)

[​IMG]

but yesterday also we doubled out work load on this. because the track owners doubled our workload by extending the track by a further 3 miles and attributing a new un official title to their behemoth track.

" Thunderschleife ".

great thing about this track too, is that it doesn't just go in one direction. the owners allow a reverse option on any configuration. so for a simulation game this is a brilliant fun factor.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
    luchian and liquido like this.
  3. liquido

liquido Active Member

I broke my old logithech G25 last weekend, I can't do much on the physic layer.

I get more dense mesh from Thunder Hill and maybe this weekend we have the new skecth ready to go... So I will be back to Ascari and create new objects like barriers, signals, flags, trees... that should fit in our future projects.

[​IMG]

luchian, Pixelchaser and Jebus like this.
  4. luchian

Made a promise earlier about some reference shots, so here they are :).
    The highlighted area, is about 50-55 m long, and 13-14m wide. And it has approximately 5k verts / 10k faces.
    For scaling, notice the red square in the upper area, that is 1m x 1m.

sample_area.png
    sample_zoomed_in.png

Density of the physics mesh is according to the needs. The key is smoothness. If you have some areas with lots of small bumps, you'd need of course a denser mesh. Otherwise, you can get away with less. By the same logic, if your surface is very flat, adding more polys won't make it feel more alive so no need really.

Also, if high poly is required, I don't think you need to worry about count too much - the physics mesh is not rendered so shouldn't affect frame rate too much (it will eat up memory though).

liquido, Pixelchaser and Jebus like this.
  5. Pixelchaser

nice, that's about similar to ours tbh. great stuff.

Jebus and luchian like this.
  6. Pixelchaser

noticing a preserved line along the mesh. surely lazer scanning doesnt result in that ?

there must be a preserve option used on certain selected verts or edges or whatever to retain that centre line in that example. hmm.

7. luchian

The sides, you mean ?
    If yes, it's just a matter of modifier settings. LS doesn't give you the mesh directly anyway; it'll only give you the point cloud to use as a reference and adjust the actual mesh. And the actual mesh it's still you (the artist) that does it from scratch.
    In Blender (probably in max as well) when you apply the decimate modifier, you just need to leave the side verts unselected and they will not be affected by modifier; so you'll leave the sides untouched and ready to use :).

8. liquido

liquido Active Member

We need more time than I spect to get the initial skecth of the new Project (Thunder Hill Raceway)we are focus on Thunder Hill acctually until we get the "review" from Dany and the former driver.

but I'm working on Ascari from time to time, here is a couple of pics.

Work in progress

3d fence
    [​IMG]

extinguisher
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
    Jebus, Pixelchaser and luchian like this.
  9. liquido

liquido Active Member

I have news from Dany and his friend (Ascari pro driver)

to put you in context, Dany is an experienced driver who rarely misses a Track day on every Spanish circuit and knows the track (Ascari) thousand times better than I, his friend works as a driving professor at Ascari.

both of them met and tested the current version of the circuit to improve the layout of our virtual replica. Dany sent me a video telling me what we need to change. Big big thanks to Dany how takes Ascari to another level polishing the layout giving us the chance to replicate the real thing very very accurate.

If you follow that thread you can understand how important is the help from other people, Dany provide a meet with Ascari Stuff, who give me the real planes of the track and now he Help us again to polish the work.... you are great Dany, all of this is posible thanks to you.

So what we need to change? :rolleyes:

We need to work on the chicanes, the first one has new and wider kerbs that allow to take faster the chicane, we need to update that place.

The second chicane has a problem about inclination... on the real thing you are able to see the chicane from the previous turn, so you can see the chicane when you are approaching to it... I have the altitude profile and I try to find the problem using that, I spect I need to lower the entrance of the chicane and keep some inclination on that chicane... not an easy task, but I'm most motivated than ever.

I'm starting to work on that task... but it is fair in Malaga. :whistle: don't spect much from me this week.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
    Pixelchaser, luchian and Jebus like this.
  10. Pixelchaser

geez you guys in spain need to learn English :lol: . I know nothing of what he is singing. but I suspect its "cheesey"... LOL

liquido likes this.
  11. Jebus

Jebus Member

Did they say anything about overall bumpiness?

luchian and liquido like this.
  12. liquido

liquido Active Member

No, but I don't ask for it ... :oops:

I'll do and hope they has something to say... We are on contact.

Thanks for remember it Jebus. ;)

Jebus likes this.
  13. Jebus

Jebus Member

It can be seen the other way too, if it's way off now I'm sure they would have said something about it. But yeah, since we have the best possible judges for the track I think it would be good to ask what they think. :)

liquido likes this.
  14. liquido

liquido Active Member

You are rigth Jebus, I want to ask them about the bumps... we have to ask directly for the overall bumpiness as you said before.

When I fix the inclination we send another version to every Beta terters and we ask Dany about the feeling of the surface, wich is really important for us... it is what the tyres of our car should be in contact every time.. so it's the most important mesh of the track, for sure we dedicate the time and effort enough to have something good.

I like to see your interest in the physic layer, couse I'm also very interested in that area. :)

Pixelchaser, Jebus and luchian like this.
  15. liquido

liquido Active Member

It's a real nigthmare for me to change the inclination of the chicane... I need to work in the camber of the road at the same time that I lower the altitude of the full section to get room enough.

I lower the terrain 0,45m from the start of the previous turn to the chicane, now I'm dealing with chicane and it's needs more work but I'm starting to see the ligth.

[​IMG]

luchian and Jebus like this.
  16. luchian

I know it's a lot of work liquido ! Too bad it wasn't as steep IRL, I like when there's more "drama" ! But.. fidelity is more important.

17. liquido

liquido Active Member

Yes, fidelity is the goal... also in the feeling of the surface. :D

luchian likes this.
  18. liquido

liquido Active Member

I'm working on new 3d guard rails... I want to add collision models and shadow models for almost everything.

[​IMG]

I have a lot of guardrails models made for open roads also.

[​IMG]

luchian, Pixelchaser and Jebus like this.
  19. Pixelchaser

lets get textures on them m8. and start our first xpack....

I wonder how valuable a great, good, fantastic, all you need style xpack is worth........

liquido likes this.
  20. Jebus

Jebus Member

What's xpack?

: ascari, tracks
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice