COCKPIT Alex Open Sim Wheel and rig project (work in progress)

Discussion in 'SimRigs | Wheels' started by Alexjonson, Jul 3, 2015.

1. Alexjonson

Alexjonson Active Member

Onto the questions straight away.
    Yes I will (probably) build it myself.
    There are a few types of Ioni around, its 3 options, IONI, IONI PRO and IONI HC (High Current) which has diffrent options on maximum current output, with HC has 23A which I calculated to be 31NM of force. This may not be 100% correct tho. The IONI Pro has 15A which is around 22.5nm ballpark. The normal IONI is something I only would recomend for when building a CNC machine.
    About the SimuCUBE.. Guess who orderd a board ;). I only orderd the board as a standalone, so I will use it with my Antek 800w power supply aswell as my IONI Pro I already have lying around. I sold my IoniCube x1 to a friend. I'm a huge beliver in this new board as it can run as an API aswell as with any software like MMos. Mine will arrive next month (may) hopefully so I can shed more light over it when it arrives, but I would not buy anything else then this because I belive this is the future.

luchian likes this.
  2. luchian

luchian Administrator Staff Member

Ah ! You were onto it ! :). Damn, I'm so sorry I've missed it !
    Ok, so as a recap, what is the HW required ?

SimuCUBE
    + PSU
    + IONI ?
    + MiGe
    + ?

And how do you choose PSU ?
    And how do you choose IONI ?

Me, I'm thinking about the small MiGe, which is around 20 Nm
    (but if for some reason I will want to upgrade later - to around 30 Nm - which IONI should be ok for both ?)

Which MiGe do you have already Alex ?

3. Alexjonson

Alexjonson Active Member

Sorry for the delayed response.

With SimuCube you need Ioni, a psu, a servo (mige, lenze, kollenmogen are the tested ones) and small parts like wires and connectors. I choose my PSU before I jumped on the SimuCube train so I have an Antek 800w which was recomended by Phil Berry on the iracing forums. I choosed Ioni pro because HC wasn't avialiable, now I would go to the HC in any case just to be sure. If you want 30nm, HC is the way to go.
    I have the "small" (Not small by any means) Mige 130STM10010 and I also have the 5000 PPR encoder lying around which I need to mount.

Also, small update.

luchian likes this.
  4. luchian

Good choice with sim-lab I think. I have my eyes on a desk triple as well. Will go and get it as soon as I'll have my car available.

This thing with the DD torque is a bit unclear. On raw values I know 20 Nm is a LOT to handle already. So I think the judgement is not only in raw figures, right ? Is the 30 Nm offering more fidelity ? Or reactivity ?

5. Alexjonson

Alexjonson Active Member

With 30 nm you gain more torque, and loose on more or less everything else, there's more cogging in the wheel so not as smooth as a 20nm, which according to those who have tested it makes the small mige the ideal motor for our uses for the price. Then we have the Kollenmogen (the motor Leo B uses on his SS2 systems) and the Lenze (which Dennis Reimer uses on his systems mostly, or at least used to do) but they are in a whole diffrent price range, starting from close to 1000 euros and going up from there.

luchian likes this.
  6. Alexjonson

Alexjonson Active Member

update numero 1 billion and 3. Or something like that.

luchian likes this.
  7. luchian

You sir, are nuts ! Now it's sure :D
    But THIS is so awesome and inspiring.

PS: in the same time, makes my small random customisations look like children's play : )). Keep it up !

8. Alexjonson

Alexjonson Active Member

Haha thanks fella. This is just the start of a big snowballing effect I'm afriad. I've racked up quite a few interesting contacts the last few months which will make for even more cool stuff coming sooner or later I think it might be absolutely nuts!

luchian likes this.
  9. Alexjonson

Alexjonson Active Member

Quick headsup since it was no weekend update. Rig will arrive this week from the paintshop. Also got more fun hardware in the mail the other day but thats for the next update.

luchian likes this.
  10. liquido

liquido Active Member

Hey mate, long time since last time.

You make progress and you are close to drive on it... lot of buttons and great stuff as allways, every thing you show is a beauty, the structure and parts you desing for the hand brake are smart and looks industrial, love it.

you are a master with metal, your garaje is like a temple of metal machines... that small truncated spherical piece with internal thread, welded to the chassis accurately... good work. :cool::cool::cool: Yes!!!

11. Alexjonson

Alexjonson Active Member

Sorry that I've been very quiet lately. Some progress has been made. Working on the controller box at the moment aswell as some other side projects. More about that later. I'll try to drop some pictures in after the weekend.

liquido and luchian like this.
  12. Alexjonson

Alexjonson Active Member

Update (!!!!) :lol:

liquido likes this.
  13. luchian

Oh wow, great update ! We might not have heard from you, but you've been quite busy I see :).

But boy, this is becoming extremely complex. If when you've started I was saying to myself, "nice, I could do this", now.. it's looking quite complicated :D. It is of course, inline with the crazy amount of hours you've probably put into the project. Awesome read ! Keep us posted.

14. luchian

So.. since the cockpit itself is shaping up gloriously, how about some ideas for spending more.. ? :whistle:
    This is from a friend that recently raced with us in a casual event. (don't mean to hijack your thread, it may be very well a continuation :D)

imersive_3.jpg
    imersive_6.jpeg

And this is how it looks with the lights on
    imersive_4.jpg
    imersive_7.jpeg

liquido likes this.
  15. Alexjonson

Alexjonson Active Member

update!

16. Alexjonson

Alexjonson Active Member

Holy dogshit that rig is really nice luchian. If I had the space, I would go projector right away. When I find a bigger place thats a no brainer for sure!

luchian likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice