COCKPIT Alex Open Sim Wheel and rig project (work in progress)

Discussion in 'SimRigs | Wheels' started by Alexjonson, Jul 3, 2015.

1. Alexjonson

Alexjonson Active Member

Evening fellas. Not much to hurray about, small parts for the pedals are being manufactured atm so I'll do a bigger update when I can show glimpses of the final product.

luchian likes this.
  2. Alexjonson

Alexjonson Active Member

Evening fellas, same as last time, diving deep into the pedals atm, soon time to put them aside and build some rig again for a change. Potentiometers for clutch and throttle are orderd and should be here sometime next week. Some uniballs and other small stuff will be orderd tonight.

luchian likes this.
  3. Alexjonson

Alexjonson Active Member

Tiny update.

4. luchian

luchian Administrator Staff Member

I must be crossing some "special" period, because I can see my self VERY appreciative to projects that go on. No matter if fast or slow, it's still something I admire. You're not that far off for sure, I reckon next spring will catch you racing all over the place... ..unless that secret project gets you first :D. I know it's secret, but one could suspect it's about one actual car ? :whistle:

Also, don't know if I've mentioned this before - but man, you have quite some tools to help you with this endeavor. Very nice :).

Looking forward to see more stuff complete, and as a side note looking forward to touching one of these OSW at some point, somewhere.. are they really as fun as they are presented to be ?.. I wonder.

Oh, and if we don't "exchange" here before, have a cool Christmas and a Happy New Year ! :)

5. Alexjonson

Alexjonson Active Member

Thanks for the kind words amigo.
    The secret project is sim racing related ;-)

Merry xmas and a happy new year to you too. :)

6. Alexjonson

Alexjonson Active Member

Evening fellas. Quick update.

I went and visisted a friend of mine on the 23rd and bought myself an early xmas present and got to build his new AMAZING rig. (Will put a pic and specs in a spoiler). But what I got myself for xmas was a new graphics card. A MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G, should be able to run the tripple screen setup slightly easier with a full 4gb of vram to its disposal, I also got a very good price. Now gonna sell my 970 to make up the bank balance diffrence.
    Here's his new rig.

First the specs.
    Leo Bodnar Sim Steering 2 system with the Kollenmogen AKM54 motor. (Atm the best system out there)
    MPPC Hydralic pedals.
    Manu Factory Sequential shifter.
    Fi Tech steeringwheel button plate mounted to a Sparco P310. www.fi-tech.net
    Will use 3 40"+ 4k tv screens with low input lag.
    PC will be i7 4790k, overclocked. 2x Nvidia 980ti with good stuff around that.
    Rig is built out of aluminium profile, was a pain to assemble but worth it in the end. Company that built it has not yet been announced officially, this is the first rig for a customer. You have to step in like in a Nascar and it's rock solid. Motion in the seat and traction loss. The seat will be an OMP HTE. This is going to be one hell of a rig! It is massive tho.

[​IMG]

7. luchian

OMFG ! Where did this came from ?!
    Soolid rig ! Also had a look at that fi-tech site; works of art ! Impressive craftsmanship !

Congrats on the new video card. Any hot deal for the 970 ? :D

8. Alexjonson

Alexjonson Active Member

The rig... Came from heaven to earth :D Or.... Germany. He went all the way from Sweden to Germany to pick the beast up.
    Fi Tech makes some insanely pretty stuff. All custom made. It's a friend of mine who runs it (same guy who sold me the pedals) so I'd thought I'd help him to market himself a little bit.
    Shoot me a PM if you're interested in the card.

9. Alexjonson

Alexjonson Active Member

last update of this year

10. luchian

Wow, a quite consistent one :). It's starting to really look like a race car's interior+roll cage :lol:. And the seat.. :rolleyes: very very cool. Thank you for all the updates along 2015, have a happy new year and looking forward to meeting you again in 2016.
    Hopefully with some (smaller) projects on my side as well :whistle:

11. Alexjonson

Alexjonson Active Member

Projects there will be! Have to keep myself occupied with something or I will go mad I think. We shall see what we sort out, already gathering momentum for 2016 :)

luchian likes this.
  12. liquido

liquido Active Member

I just see your updates.... loving all the process, ready to paint? looks like is ready to test... seems you need to place the shifter and handbrake but looks amazing.

you show one simple motion card ¿motion? like that?

[​IMG]

I tested two of those motion system and I really don't like the feeling... I do not recommend spending a cent on that system, keep the money for other kind of immersion system, motion sucks.... is my opinion and until I tested I allways tought it should be the ultimate experience... but it dosen't.

13. Alexjonson

Alexjonson Active Member

Hi Licquido.

Yes painting is not far off, did some more work today to avoid any flex in the rig while braking, there's not much left now, really very little, will pick up a new shifter soon and do a handbrake mount and thats about it more or less...

About motion, yes, thats essentially what he got, probably more refined then a Simx rig, but it does the same thing. I have never tried such a type of motion so I'm open minded about it, but you're not the first one saying its not worth the investment. I have tried a Cruden sim, same as Redbull uses for their sim f.e which was completely shit in my opinion. I will head to UK on wednesday for a motorsport show thursday and friday, where Leo Bodnar will have some stuff lined up with Pro-Sim, should be fun to try out their formula wheel.

14. liquido

liquido Active Member

Nice to eard you came to Europe for motorsport show :)enjoy:) and yes, looks like a great oportunity to see what's going on with Leo Bodnar stuff... pics, pics, we want photos from the event.

like I said before... I prefer your actual rig configuration without motion than my G25 with the best motion system on market (force dynamics included) please test them before put more money on that kind of inmersion system.... there is no way to simulate G forces no matter the money you put on that, as you should know better than me.. it is your onw body going to one way to other wich is is completely diferent to inclinate the seat to force your body to move one way to other.... it is not the same feeling and for me was a real disapoint.

btw... love all those big industrial machines to work with iron and blend things.

Cheers.

15. Alexjonson

Alexjonson Active Member

Update with loads of pictures

liquido and luchian like this.
  16. luchian

Whoaa.. what an update ! Great way to start it off in 2016 !
    Funny comments on the pics, and overall nice pieces of information. Those sim-rigs look sweet no doubt, but back on earth for a moment - you are REALLY serious about the wheel ! You could literally fit that into a real car :D. Great toy. Great toys actually.
    I've learned quite a 'bit about sim-racing hardware following this topic - and I was thinking that I'm not exactly a noob on the subject. Well.. I was wrong :).

Great stuff, thanks for all these updates Alex. Keep it up - 2016 is just starting :D

17. Alexjonson

Alexjonson Active Member

We're all on diffrent levels of hardware.. I'm sort of "Well, this escalated quickly" on it... I had hoped on like a 2000-2500 euro final price but matter of fact is... I'm not even anywhere near that! But I love my hardware :D 2016 has to be the year I'm finally doing some driving again tho thats for sure. :)

luchian likes this.
  18. luchian

Will be looking forward to meeting you on or off track :).

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

19. liquido

liquido Active Member

Wow!!! mate those air bags inside the cockpit to simulate Gforces are a blast, 100X times better than motion system... in fact the motion he has is only to simulate suspension and rotation for attack kurbs... very very interesting.

Thanks for share. :):):)

20. Alexjonson

Alexjonson Active Member

Hi liquido. Yes the air bags are better, but it was ALOT of delay in them which make the whole thing a massive fail. I'm not sure thats in all their systems regarding it costs about £40.000 but this one didn't impress me, and another point was simply I was to fat fo properly fit into the tub :D I personally belive in buttkickers as the best solution for sim racing at the moment.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice