SOLVED Adding custom 3D Objects on AC track (noob)

Discussion in 'Tracks' started by enrique prekop, Feb 15, 2017.

1. enrique prekop

enrique prekop New Member

Hey guys, really need your help. I want to add 3d custom objects on Assetto Corsa tracks , like cones and barriers ( without modifying the original track, just adding objects on top).

Of course this will take me a couple of weeks maybe a month to figure it out , but for getting started and familiar with the process , what software is needed/recommended to achieve this? I recently bought 3Dsimed and downloaded Blender & 3dsmax ( 30 day trial ).

Last year I added custom textures on AC tracks ( ads, barriers & bridges),but now I wish to customize the track further.

So in short , what is the best way to do this ?

Thanks, have great day!

My custom track so far ( I am beginner so they are far from perfect, but still had lots of fun doing it! ) Thanks to luchian for helping me !!

IMG_0558.JPG IMG_0557.JPG IMG_0556.JPG IMG_0555.JPG

2. Pixelchaser

Pixelchaser Well-Known Member

its mainly about positioning, can you position that cone in the world already created. and 3dsimed will be your friend I think regards that. you will also want to keep all your "new" objects in a new fbx file. and add the new fbx entry to the models layout.ini , and then I think it will work great. when you get your track to max. just place new objects, delete everything else and save fbx.

luchian likes this.
  3. luchian

luchian Administrator Staff Member

Exactly.
    To understand how to use layouts, have a look HERE.

How they work:
    They overlap multiple kn5 files. So you will not actual modify the original Kunos tracks. It will be just like an overlay. As Pixeldude said, alignment is key (the kn5 will automatically align based on 0,0,0 point of each file).
    You will be able to "preview" alignment in KS editor. You can open multiple FBX.

PS: those screens look VERY nice ! They bring a little more color to Silverstone. I approve :D

4. Pixelchaser

i think there should be a mod depicting Silverstone 2017 but where all the graffiti artists in the uk, break into Silverstone and apply their spray paint to the track. :lol:

5. enrique prekop

Thanks so much guys ! Ok so I will give a try, can’t wait to do this. One question , is it posible to add collision to the cones or any other object? Also , 3dsmax is the software that I “have" (free trail, but been thinking on buying it ) do you have any other suggestion, or 3dsmax is best option?

Thanks luchian, is nice to know that you liked it, means so much. I am very grateful for all the help.

Have great day ,will keep posting my progress.

luchian likes this.
  6. Pixelchaser

blender. its free.

yes cones can be made to react to collisions. there`s a tutorial somewhere here :lol:

7. enrique prekop

Pixelchaser , by any chance do you remember the name of the tutorial!! I am trying to find it .

8. luchian

It's in the first post of track guide. Collidable objects.

Edit: oh, and yes, definitely Blender. Unless you can get a student license or something for max.

..sent from my phone.

9. enrique prekop

Hey guys ! Ok so now I added a “cone” (very simple shape) to the track. I used the method that you suggested and worked great ,thanks to both !

I read the track guide ( to add collision ) , it works perfect for the barriers but not so much for the cones, because is like hitting a wall ( yesterday hit the cone at 140mph and....stopped immediately ,really strong cone :lol:). So I tried changing the number on the cone name... 1WALL 2WALL..... all the way to 5 I think , I thought that the prefix number will change collision properties (that’s no the case right, or I missed a step)?

So 2 Questions :

Is it possible to make the cone collision more cone-like and not so much like hitting a nuclear blast door :ROFLMAO:?

What about the textures (remember I am noob)? How is the workflow of textures, something like :
    Photoshop --->Blender (or any modding software)--->3DsimED--->ksedit--->AC ?

If I get textures right , will be almost job done.
    Have a great day !

10. luchian

For the cones, do NOT use WALL :). Name them AC_POBJECT_1, 2, whatever. This way they will act as colidable. Also, try to keep poly count low (or otherwise link a high poly to low poly).

Textures:
    Photoshop/Gimp/(or other paint) to create the texture.

In 3d program, just add ANY material/texture to object.

In KS Editor, assign the real texture when defining shader properties to that object.

Done :).

..sent from my phone.

11. enrique prekop

Hey luchian how are you ? 1 question ( for you , or anybody here ) I tried renaming object to AC_POBJECT_1 instead of 1WALL and it's not working, no collision at all, what could it be ?

12. Pixelchaser

where is the pivot or origin point ?

luchian likes this.
  13. enrique prekop

Very good question LOL, that’s the missing piece , sorry beginner here !!

I imagine that I need to center it , right ? Should I center it on 3d mod program , or 3dsimed?

14. Pixelchaser

centered to object in 3d program. no idea how to do that in 3dsimed. but if you know I'm sure that would be fine too.

15. enrique prekop

Hello, now finally it works, thanks! Just one small detail, the cones reflect to much light. Without clouds , the light reflection is so much that is hard to see the cone logos/texture. Does any body knows a way to fix this (without adding an overcast sky)?

16. Pixelchaser

that is the shader settings for the material on the cone, change in ac editor. press materials tab and remove specular values.

luchian likes this.
  17. chargingemu22

chargingemu22 New Member

Just finished up with a simple track design. I'm happy with how it turned out, but was wondering if any of you have run into the glitch where cars spawn into the pit without one wheel... I honestly have no idea where I went wrong!
    edit: Is it most likely caused by the cones I added or the track surface itself?

18. luchian

Please read the FAQ. (Yes, sorry you are not special, others have had the same issue :D).

Congrats on your first track, btw.

19. ClipsDlamini

ClipsDlamini New Member

Its you saying you were a beginner dude I am still struggling to add such objects into my race track and lighting and stuff. I have managed to add the objects but the issues now is the fact that the car goes right through them and I want them to be solid as for the street lights I cannot get the lights to turn on. Oh by the way I am using asset library objects not self created meshes and I use blender current version is 3.6. I have watched a lot of tutorials about creating tracks for assetto but I am trying to find a quick work around to speed up the process. Times are advancing, software too so I think we should also advance along with. YOUR TRACK WAS VERY PROFESSIONAL LOOKING FOR A BEGINNER BUDDY.

20. fughettaboutit

fughettaboutit aka leBluem

solid objects: make an invisible wall around it (set renderable=0 in ksEditor), called for example 1WALL_no1

lights: you need CustomShadersPatch and a ext_config.ini for it, see this
    https://assettocorsamods.net/threads/lighting-color-codes-website.1751/page-2#post-12776

Last edited: Aug 30, 2023
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice