Featured STREAM A cat has 9 lives, so here's Season II

Discussion in 'News Timeline' started by assettocorsamods, Aug 27, 2015.

1. assettocorsamods

assettocorsamods Administrator Staff Member

Stefano restarted his live streams, with a slightly different format - 2 different kind of episodes: Sundays, talk about features, information packed; Wednesday, 1 hr of coding oriented stream, like it used to be in the first season.

Stefano:
    "It's nice to be back. It's the best period for me [just after the release of a major patch], because I'm allowed to break stuff and test. Feel excited and happy now, then close to the release it gets stressing"

So, what will the update 1.3 bring ?

64bit build ! - problem was linking the python to the 64bit version. No visible performance improvement, but possible to use all memory, which is already a big plus !

DRS
    - adding the DRS zones to the tracks
    - possible to modify these zones from the server config
    - server can override the rules during the race - allow DRS after x laps, what's the gap you need to have with the car in front in order to enable DRS use

Audio
    Working on audio of the tyres - rewriting all the algorithms to generate the levels of the audio - in order to make it easier to hear. Should be able to relate easier to what the car is doing just listening to the tyres. Now they stand out easier from the other sounds and doing it progressive.

UI
    Thanks to the DRS, UI needs to be modified to better communicate all the available options. Especially for the average user, that doesn't necessarily has the right 3rd party apps installed.
    - one way would be to include these informations on the loading screen
    - other way, to have some sort of AC UI with all the info you need active by default, and if one wishes, one can hide it.
    - some changes in the way the game starts - random camera angles from track - looks very nice !

Multiplayer side:
    - you can now display a welcome message when player joins the server (defined in a TXT file)
    - possibility (maybe) to have a customized message - per user
    - possibility to start a fixed setup server
    - share setup ideas - just receive the setup in the respective folder (track & car combo) with auto name

Car setup menu: the car status tab will also show up blistering & grain status

Force Feedback
    Adaptive FFB based on the first laps of driving - automatically readjusting the internal FFB multiplier to get close to 90% force strength; which is strong enough to use the full power of steering wheel, but still you have 10% to feel the kerbs or other effects. With 1.3 update, basically all the cars will have a very consistent FFB.

New FFB additional effects
    - slips - adding a vibration on the steering wheel as you are going over the limit of the tyre (definitely realistic, could be there on a real tyre). Why ? see the video : )
    - road - what it does is translating the instant acceleration of your suspensions compared to the body of the car into left-right torques on your steering wheel. Why ? see the video : )
    - kerbs - expands on the same idea (road effect). Canned effect though, it's not all coming from the physics. Some kerbs are flat (Spa for example) and yet we still get the vibration. Interesting explanation about the FFB distribution (inside/outside of the car) - see the video : )
    - understeer - fictional reduction of the torque, going over the limit of the tyre. This one is completely unrealistic but it's necessary because of the limited force we can get from our (basic) wheels. Not talking to you, OSW or DD owners :p.

Q&A session :
    Q: What happened with Monza Sopraelevata and when will we see it into Assetto Corsa ?
    A: We actually have a solution for that, we still need to check how the AI is doing. But we are moving forward, I want to implement it.

Q: Any progress on ABS ?
    A: No, not at the moment.

Q: Are the cars in AC ray-cast vehicles ?
    A: No, they are rigid-body simulated; ray-cast would be very limited for AC.

Q: When will we see the new UI ?
    A: The new UI will be visible on the console. Wether it'll be on PC or not.. is up in the air right now.

Q: I have a 270 degrees on my steering wheel, and I want to be able to use a 1:1 steering ratio
    A: Yes, you are totally right. I had a talk with Aris about it, and we agree we should add an option.

Q: Do you have mechanical engineers in the team ?
    A: No, we don't.

Q: I like how the launch screen shows the track not the car. Do the modders need to do something special to work ?
    A: Yes, to do it properly there should be a specific camera set. But if the file is not there, the system will search for the existing fixed cameras and will be added to the cameras to be used.

And 2 "random notes" from Stefano:
    One thing that I think we really need, is one place where to have a clear documentation about all the ini files in AC; and how the files evolve from one version to another. Maybe a shared location on the Internet, that everybody could read. That should make it easy for modders to define ini files.

It would make an interesting experiment to vote for your favorite feature to be developed for the next version.

Q: Time restricted races ?
    A: Yes, in 1.3

Q: Reverse grids ?
    A: I would like to make through plugins

Q: Spectator mode ?
    A: No, it's very difficult to implement it now.

Q: Approximate time for 1.3 ?
    A: End of September; if any feature will create problems, it'll be cut in order to keep this date.

Q: Single player PIT STOP is in the pipeline for 1.3 or later ?
    A: It's definitely in the pipeline, we'll see if it will make it.

Q: Is there anything in development for transmission physics ?
    A: I would like to add torsional physics, but it's a lot of work to do it, so I don't know yet.

Q: Is there a possibility to make a physics related stream ?
    A: Yes, but probably forum is a better place because sometimes it's necessary to look for the answer in 3-4 years old code.

Q: Any chance to add chassis flex ?
    A: No, because it'd would be very difficult to implement it properly.

..and a few more :). Happy reading/watching !

2. Leonardo Ratafia

Leonardo Ratafia Member

thanks fors these recaps! they are great!

assettocorsamods likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice