1986 F1 Lotus 98T (optimized pack)

Discussion in 'Car Skins' started by DiegoMG, Aug 10, 2016.

1. DiegoMG

DiegoMG New Member

Hi guys!
    Probably you already have this skins http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/gm1986-season-skin-pack.5083/

This are nice skins but with more than 6 cars on the grid i have sttutering problems....
    So i decide to optimize the file size (in many cases 12mb for a plain 4k single color texture).
    This is what i do:

Compress the main texture dds in DTX5 format
    Rescale carbon details to 50% and save it like DTX5
    Rescale helmet textures an detail textures and save it like DTX5
    Save uncompressed textures in DTX5 format

Result: no more sttutering with the same sharp textures (1920x1080) 23´ monitor
    HD size reduced from 1.7 GB to 255 Mb

NOTE: I DON´T CLAIM ANY CREDIT FOR THIS, I JUST SHARE IT BECAUSE CAN BE USEFUL FOR SOMEONE WITHOUT THE SKILLS OR TIME TO DO THE JOB...

http://www.mediafire.com/download/qgyej5l2x1z6hu6/Lotus98_1986_skins.7z

liquido and luchian like this.
  2. luchian

luchian Administrator Staff Member

This is actually a nice point you are touching.

I was running in a league some time back, and had similar situation. When it's one car, it might not matter much, but with a full grid of custom skins, it's a LOT of memory occupied. So did a test similar to yours, and with absolutely no visible quality loss, size in Mb (not in resolution) was reduced to 25% or so.

All this to actually say, thank you for taking the time to share your findings. They will be useful.
    Cheers :).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice